How to replace cracked camera's protective "lens"?Support

Last Updated:

1. KingFatty

KingFatty Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can the clear plastic cover be replaced easily? Looks like it will pop out so that I can replace it with some other plastic. The actual lens beneath looks fine, and the autofocus works etc. Just want to get rid of the crack distorting the optics, without losing the dust protection provided by the clear lens cover that says "8.0 Megapixels".

My daughter (toddler) was bringing me my phone, tripped, and tossed it on tile floor. Not sure how the lens protector cracked because I have a protective cover that prevents the lens from touching anything. No scratches on the lens or ring around it, but the plastic has a crack and causes pics to look odd. Maybe it was heat expansion/contraction that cracked the plastic before my daughter ever touched the phone? I'm not sure when the crack happened.

Either way, I'll play around with the replacement and post the results, but wanted to see if anyone has already solved this issue before I come up with my own solution.

Thank you.

Advertisement
  2. KingFatty

KingFatty Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so far I've found a solution for $22 on ebay. Before I go that route, does anyone know where you can purchase generic discs of plastic? I was also thinking of using a sheet of plastic and cutting a disc using a hole saw.

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sprint-HTC-Evo-Replacement-Camera-Lens-/300482729665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f62a96c1

The seller's info - http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=rtwonline&ftab=AllFeedback
    Here are the instructions.
    You will need a razor blade or very small flat head screwdriver.

3. cefielder

cefielder New Member

I've got some scratches on the lens. Not sure or not if it's effecting pictures. I'm guessing no if I really can't tell...but this just bothers me. Thinking of replacing and just wondering how yours turned out.:D

4. dgrobe2112

dgrobe2112 Well-Known Member Contributor

mine is affecting my pics.. they are now fuzzy, and dont look crisp like they used to..

5. lamboh

lamboh Well-Known Member

6. jeremylobaugh

jeremylobaugh Well-Known Member

I busted mine on the seat belt receiver in my new car yesterday :( I'm going to pay a visit to my watchmaker tomorrow and see if he has a sapphire crystal that small.

7. tackhouse1

tackhouse1 Member

Did you have any success with this? My lens is broken and the eBay does not seem to be selling them any more :(

8. BIGMANNYC

BIGMANNYC New Member

yes guys all parts are available i have a evo 4g and cant take it to spring cuz mine is on boost so i buy my own parts and replace them as needed. heres one vendor hope this helps ..Camera Glass/Lens for HTC EVO 4G

9. cyaiphone

cyaiphone Well-Known Member

10. crawhart

crawhart New Member

I just ordered a replacement for $5.99 from amazon
    Amazon.com: Cell Phone Camera Lens Protector: Cell Phones & Accessories

NOTE THAT THERE'S A 2 FOR 1 OFFER on the page... I just ordered two replacements for the price for 1 (you have to add 2 to the cart and then on checkout it will say "promotional credit applied" with a $5.99 credit -- for a $5.99 total due, plus shipping and handling).

11. SprintTechJosh

SprintTechJosh Well-Known Member

The repair is very simple. 6 T6 torx bits hold on the back housing. Then use a non maring tool (or a guitar pick works good) to pull the back housing off the phone. Then you can get at that lens. Search youtube for a "EVO 4G dis-assembly guide" if you get stuck.