How to restart?General

1. Fulltime Traveler

Fulltime Traveler Well-Known Member

I can't remember how to do a restart. It involves holding down two or three keys simultaneously, but what keys are they?

Apparently I have had this Eris longer than the span of my short-term memory. I know that I once knew how to do it.

Sigh...

Advertisement
    :
  2. bjf88

bjf88 Well-Known Member

If you mean a hard factory reset.. that can be done from the settings>security menu. I'm no sure of the button sequence to do it the other way. Maybe power+volume down?

A regular reboot/restart can be done my holding down the power button and selecting power off.
  3. Flyphoenix

Flyphoenix Well-Known Member

Just long press the RED button to turn it off then push the red button again.
  4. digitaljeannie

digitaljeannie Well-Known Member

To restart, hold the red power/end call button down, select "Power Off", then hold the power/end call button down again to turn back on.

To reset, go into Settings>Privacy>Factory data reset OR, Power off the device, then hold the volume up button while you press the power/end call button, once you get the screen with the red triangle, hit the power/end call button again, use the volume down button to select "Wipe: Factory data reset"
  5. jearl75

jearl75 Well-Known Member

6. Fulltime Traveler

After a bunch of experimenting, I found the sequence again.

To quickly reboot the Eris, hold down the volume up key, then press the green a red buttons simultaneously.
  7. Fulltime Traveler

After a bunch of experimenting, I found the sequence again.

To quickly reboot the Eris, hold down the volume up key, then press the green a red buttons simultaneously.

BTW, this works whether or not the screen is locked.
  8. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

I need another hand :(
  9. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

Nice.. i did not know this.

You answered your own question and provided good information at the same time :D

Good job!
  10. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

Multitasking WIN!!!
  11. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I did not know this. I wonder if its like a low level reset like on a iPod where it can be reset even if the system is completely frozen.

Maybe it will remove the need for battery pulls except for extreme circumstances.
  12. Peter123

Peter123 Well-Known Member

IMO the battery pull is the real thing: according to a VZW tech I talked to, it takes upto 90 second without battery to completely discharge some internal capacitors that otherwise might retain power at resets done the other way.
    Peter
  13. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Well lets hope a battery pull is the real thing! That would be pretty freaky if the phone stayed on by itself. I don't why you would need to discharge the capacitors though. As long as the RAM clears and the phone reboots, that's sufficient enough for me.
  14. cableguynoe

I actually want my eris to go into a boot loop... so i can try this lol

I'm gonna start flashing things :D...
  15. cableguynoe

Scary stuff:eek:
  16. Peter123

Peter123 Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that when you power down the phone with the button press there is a good chance that some parts of the phone is still maybe powered.
    As far the RAM discharging: depending on the electronics, it might take some time (upto tens of seconds) while the RAM clears.
    Peter
  17. sarawr

sarawr Member

thank you for that! I had been wondering and the only other combination of buttons I found on some website was not right.. this is a little more convenient than push and hold, select power off, then push power again.
  18. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator