How to Restore HTC Sense after "Force Stop"?Tips

Last Updated:

1. ScottCh

ScottCh Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Folks,

A few weeks ago I switched my EVO 4G to the standard Android 2.1 UI through the widely publicized "clear defaults" and "force stop", then pressing "Home" and selecting to default to the Android launcher. This worked very well.

Unfortunately for me, I thought this was just going to be a test drive. I wanted to see how it compared to Sense UI, but now I can't figure out how to re-activate Sense.

According to the description of the process for other Android phones with Sense, you are supposed to be able to turn Sense back on by doing essentially the same process. Select application "HTC Sense", and do "clear defaults" and "force stop" again. Then press the Home button, and select to default to Sense UI when asked.

This doesn't work on my EVO 4G. When I perform these steps, pressing the Home button has no effect. There is no popup asking which UI to use as default. The standard Android UI remains in effect.

I've done a fair amount of google searching, but haven't seen any explanation how to do this so far. I'm hoping that it's possible without wiping the phone back to its initial state.

Anyone know how to restore Sense? I'd like to experiment with it, at least until the day Froyo comes out for it.

Thanks much!

Scott C. in Cary, NC USA

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Have you rebooted the phone?

3. ScottCh

Hello Sitlet,

If by rebooting you mean powering it down, then powering it up again, the answer is yes. I tried it after each attempt to reactivate the Sense UI using the procedure I described above. It made no difference.

If you mean rebooting it through another means (e.g. battery removal), I haven't tried that.

Thanks,

Scott C.

4. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

You need to find the "standard Android interface" process and disable that one and hit HOME. Sorry, but I'm not sure what that process name is. Disabling SENSE again won't help because that isn't currently running since you chose the 2.1 UI as your default. When I play with the the other launchers I don't set them as default so I don't have that issue.

5. ScottCh

Well the problem fixed itself today. I turned on the phone, got notification of a new system update (build 1.47), and said "yes". After it got done whirling and twirling and rebooted... Back to sense ui. Tada!

So remember that folks, you force it to stop, just wait until the next update comes along. Sprint knows what you want! ;-)

ScottCh

puertorro likes this.
  6. stevehy

stevehy Well-Known Member

That

7. jdbyrd

jdbyrd Member

^ I was wondering about that!!! I was trying to show some one that I could disable sense and run android without it and it wouldn't work...I thought I was doing something wrong, but everytime I told the phone to "clear defaults" and then "force close" and hit the home icon it would boot HTC sense again...this sucks!! why would they do that?