• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How To Restore Phone With DL Mode.

So I just got a new LG volt (on virgin mobile) and unwittingly upgraded to v4 before I knew what I was doing. Came here to downgrade, but I can't get past step 5. It says "wrong dll file". I've attempted this with both the megalock.dll given in the download link in OP and with one found through google, on an xda forum. Anyone have an idea of what could be going wrong?

This. I have downloaded everything mentioned in the initial post and I can't get past "wrong .dll". Quite frustrating! Anyone with a solution?

Upvote 0
I spent my day fighting this battle. I am victorious. The procedure was a bit convoluted but in the end it was my fault for wasting 2 hours after the phone was flashed properly because I didn't read #15.

I did not have a brick when I started this procedure, It was more for my own peace of mind that I had a working un-brick method on my computer, and the ability to complete it knowing how it all works when I need it to work fast.

Upvote 0
i need help the dll file from http://androidforums.com/threads/official-restore-with-dl-mode.853693 POST 11 #2 do not work can somebody help. I have LG Volt on Boost. Here are two screenshots of what i did. I followed the post but the dll wont work 01.png 02.png

Upvote 0
try putting the dll file in a different directory than the flash tool. Mine is in a different directory and i have had no issue at all . I rolled back from the z 4 update too. Only difference is i am on virgin mobile but that makes no difference. I would make a video but my phone is the only camera i have .

Take screenshots of your directories where all the files are located so we can see how you have the files setup on your pc. Sometimes it matters. ....... Is the megalock.dll in the lg flash tool main direcotry?

Upvote 0
try putting the dll file in a different directory than the flash tool. Mine is in a different directory and i have had no issue at all . I rolled back from the z 4 update too. Only difference is i am on virgin mobile but that makes no difference. I would make a video but my phone is the only camera i have .

Take screenshots of your directories where all the files are located so we can see how you have the files setup on your pc. Sometimes it matters. ....... Is the megalock.dll in the lg flash tool main direcotry?
i just reinstalled widnows and bam flashing worked

EDIT: Im going to stay on z3
Thanks to all whom helped

EDIT 2: Got tired of the stupid notification telling me to update so i flashed the update back on rooted z4

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have the Boost Mobile black variant, and I'm trying to downgrade to the z3 update, use towelroot to root, and then use donjuro's modified z4 update, cwm, and adb to be rooted on the z4 update, following this thread's instructions: http://androidforums.com/threads/the-so-you-upgraded-to-z4-and-lost-root-guide.874943/.
This is the first guide within that guide that I need to complete. I have gotten up to step 8 without any issues:Steps 5, 6, and 7 - DLL, TOT, and Board.JPGStep 8 - Download Mode and Connected to PC.jpg
But for some reason, despite the fact I have the right settings and am connected in download mode to the PC, no "new lg device" is showing up under com ports in the device manager:
Step 10 Fail  (Is There a Step 9).JPG
I would really appreciate it if someone could suggest things to double-check, how to fix this problem, or advise me on what worked for them. Thanks in advance! :)

Upvote 0
I have the Boost Mobile black variant, and I'm trying to downgrade to the z3 update, use towelroot to root, and then use donjuro's modified z4 update, cwm, and adb to be rooted on the z4 update, following this thread's instructions: http://androidforums.com/threads/the-so-you-upgraded-to-z4-and-lost-root-guide.874943/.
This is the first guide within that guide that I need to complete. I have gotten up to step 8 without any issues:View attachment 79627View attachment 79628
But for some reason, despite the fact I have the right settings and am connected in download mode to the PC, no "new lg device" is showing up under com ports in the device manager:
View attachment 79629
I would really appreciate it if someone could suggest things to double-check, how to fix this problem, or advise me on what worked for them. Thanks in advance! :)
im in the same boat but how did you get into download mode because i did all the steps and no luck

Upvote 0
im in the same boat but how did you get into download mode because i did all the steps and no luck
I used trichome's advise on that part, though the method described in the original post also got the job done for me too
A few tweaks to the instructions that would have helped me include: 8 - I tried what you said and it just rebooted as soon as I plugged it in. I held volume up before I plugged it in and it worked perfectly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones