How to restore Skype

Last Updated:

1. silverfang77

silverfang77 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Rooted Droid 2 with Froyo 2.2 and 2.3.20 system update

I rooted my Droid 2 using Doroot, installed Titanium Backup and proceeded to stupidly uninstall the Skype bloatware that Verizon and Motorola so thoughtfully put on all our Droids.

Only later on did I learn that in order to receive OTA system and OS updates, one must have all bloatware present and accounted for in the /system/apps folder.

Can I use the skype_mobile.live.apk file that I downloaded in a Droid X backup file, or does the Droid 2 use a different version? If I can't use the Droid X Skype file, does anyone know where I can get the Droid 2 Skype file?

I'd like to be able to restore it without wiping the phone and reinstalling everything if possible.

And yes, I have learned my lesson about impulsively uninstalling apps that come with phones, even annoying ones.

Thank you for any help.

Advertisement
  2. RUKKU5

RUKKU5 Well-Known Member

should be able to download it in the market.

3. silverfang77

It has to be restored a certain way, as a system app, or the update won't work.

Thanks though.

4. RUKKU5

RUKKU5 Well-Known Member

I installed the update without having most of my system apps with no problems..

5. silverfang77

Did you install it over the air? I've read all over the place that not having the default Verizon bloatware (Amazon MP3, BlockBuster, CarDock and City ID) installed would result in a failed update.

6. RUKKU5

RUKKU5 Well-Known Member

no way man, I'm a root user, I do everything manually lol. just use the .zip

7. silverfang77

What program do I need installed on my computer to run the update manually, and how long does it take for manual updates to be released after OTA?

Thanks again.

8. crg31953

crg31953 Active Member

As far as I know, 2.3.20 is the lates update. If you are concerned about future updates you should always make a backup of your rom after root. At least that way you can restore that rom, unroot and get your update. So far most updates remove root by them selves. Use an app like Titanium Backup to restore purchased apps after reroot and you should be good to go. Backups are a life saver!! Believe me, they have saved me more than once. I hope this helps, at least a little.

9. silverfang77

I'm thinking ahead to when Gingerbread is released. If I were to update manually, what program would I do that with?

Also, what program do I need to use to backup my ROM?

Thanks again.

10. crg31953

crg31953 Active Member

I like to use Rom Manager, the developer is excellent and so is the app. Used in tandum with Bootstrapper you wont require anything else. As far as any future updates, it is always a gamble. Some apps work, some don't. I preffer to auto update and worry about the rest after. Unless it is a major upgrade (2.3.20 to 3.00) a lot of the current apps will work. To the best of my knowledge a manual update would be an .sbf or a rom based on a leak. I welcome a correction from those who know for sure but this is how I understand it. I hope it helps or brings attention from those more knowing.