• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [How To] Return To Gingerbread And S-on

I have only found the 178.2 file size in the links provided above. Hboot does not recognize it and will not load. It flashes some green letters that read at the very bottom "image not recognized." It flashes this data so quickly that I am unable to read all of the text.

Please help I am stuck on....

SD card is formatted to FAT32

Android Version 2.2
Baseband: 2.05.00.06.11
Kernel: 2.6.32.15-g5e1ad8b
Build: unrevoked
Software: 3.17.605.0

and would like to get to stock 2.2.

Thank You!

Some things to try:
- reformatting the SD card (a computer and card reader if possible)
- a different SD
- re-download the image to your computer and transfer it the sd card using a reader

Upvote 0
Some things to try:
- reformatting the SD card (a computer and card reader if possible)
- a different SD
- re-download the image to your computer and transfer it the sd card using a reader

I have tried multiple SD cards, reformatted a few and even re-downloaded from the mirrors.

I capture a shot of the quickly flashing screen and here is what is says:

INCREDIBLE XC SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.79.0000
MICROP-0417
TOUCH PANEL_ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.05.00.06.11
May 14 2010, 14:15:44

HBOOT

SD Checking
Loading...[PB31DIAG.zip]
No image!
Loading...[PB31DIAG.nbh]
No image or wrong image!
Loading...[PB31IMG.zip]
No image!
Loading...[PB31IMG.nbh]
No image or wrong image!

at this point it flashes back to the HBOOT mainscreen. Anyone have any ideas? I appreciate all the help with this one!

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I am out of answers. If you have multiple cards all formatted to FAT32 and still getting fails, I just don't know what could possibly be the cause. I guess you could just run the full RUU.

I made this thread to avoid the need for it, sort of a shortcut to stock 2.2 but if all else fails that's all I could recommend. I just searched your error set and it's amazingly common. For whatever reason, some people just seem to run into this even when they're doing everything according to the plan. I just can't get over that it's happening with multiple cards, that's the real kicker here.

There is ONE off the cuff idea I have but honestly, I'm not supremely confident it's going to make a difference. When you formatted, did you by chance have the "quick format" selected? If so, try unselecting that checkbox and do a full format. I wish I had a magic answer but 2+2 is adding up to 5 in this case and I don't understand this voodoo math. :D

Upvote 0
There is one other thought I failed to mention (if you haven't already tried) and that is to leave everything else off the card except the IMG file. I'm gonna guess you've already done that but figured I'd mention it anyway.

And if you have a card reader:

Don't insert the blank card into the phone. Once it's freshly formatted, put the file on it using the reader, place into phone with it powered off, then volume down + power for hboot so it's completely fresh and never before identified by the phone. Trying to pull out all the crazy ideas I can come up with.

Upvote 0
is it cause s is on ?

I followed the wiki to try and load the update.zip to turn s off.

I get the following..............

ClockworkMOD Recovery v2.5.0.1

--Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk1)
(Invalid Argument)
E:Can't mount SDCARD:update.zip
Installation aborted

Any clues or thoughts on where to go from here?
Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Hey, try reflashing Clockwork to try and update your version. I don't see why that would make a big difference but it's another thing to eliminate. I'm 2.5.0.5.

James,
It seems like your card(s) aren't mounting in the phone. When you have the file on the card, can you browse the card contents with a file manager and see it? Is it showing up as PB31IMG.zip?

Reactions: jamesoja
Upvote 0
iowa- I used Astro to check the SD cards and 2 of the 3 were not showing the PB file. I finally was able to re install on the third card, locate it via Astro and all is well. I appreciate all of your help and from the community on this project. I am back to stock and that is where I should probably stay. You all have been wonderful and I thank you for the help, this battle has been going on far too long (months) before I decided to post about it yesterday.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
iowa- I used Astro to check the SD cards and 2 of the 3 were not showing the PB file. I finally was able to re install on the third card, locate it via Astro and all is well. I appreciate all of your help and from the community on this project. I am back to stock and that is where I should probably stay. You all have been wonderful and I thank you for the help, this battle has been going on far too long (months) before I decided to post about it yesterday.

Cheers!

Awesome, way to stick with it bro. You know it's amazing how many bad cards people have had on this phone. Just worked with a guy awhile back who had a similar situation as you and couldn't load an IMG file on 2 separate and properly formatted cards. I finally coaxed him into buying a new (3rd) card and it went with zero issues. 2 bad cards in a row? Craziness but it's happened twice now that I'm aware of. Good job man.

Upvote 0
okay so thanks to iowa, i now have my phone back to 2.2 stock just how i wanted. for those of you thinking you have some problem with your phone, it may just be the microsd card. I thought my problem was more serious....why the phone wouldnt detect the zip file...but it was just the microsd card itself.

1: I first powered down my phone and took out the sd card.
2: Then I used a microsd to regular sd adapter and put it in my pc's sd slot.
3: I then did a quick format with fat32 as the file system
4: Then just to be sure, I did a full format on the card (uncheck quick format)
5: Download the file in this thread at the beginning and make sure it actually finishes downloading and isn't corrupt (this can happen in the Chrome browser and you may not even know it).
6: Make sure the file says "PB31IMG" and is actually a zip file. Do not unzip it, just copy it as you downloaded it and paste it onto the blank microsd card that should still be in the pc.
7: Safely remove the sd card from your pc making sure everything was finished copying
8: Put the microsd card back into your TURNED OFF phone.
9: Hold volume down and power button at the same time until it boots into the hboot screen.
10: It will have a little green message saying it is checking the zip file if you did this correctly.
11: Wait for it to load the entire thing, then press the volume button up to continue with the update when it asks you to.
12: It will go through the green messages again probably and eventually you will see it updating different parts of the phone like radio, system, etc.
13: Finally, it will ask to reboot, say yes and enjoy your 2.2 stock phone.

This is all done from memory, but it should be almost 100% accurate. Peace.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
I'm in the process of getting back to 2.2, will probably be using this tonight. I just wanted to add to the bad SD card thing...

I'm actually back to 2.1 right now because I swear my phone eats SD cards for breakfast. The 2 GB one that came with my phone died about a week and a half ago... says it's formatted when I pull it up on my Macbook, data is on there and everything... will not mount when in the phone. At one point programs like ROM manager and Titanium would recognize it was there, but clockwork wouldn't. I bought a 4GB one that I formatted over and over and over again on my Macbook, and then a few more times on the phone before it would actually mount. I ended up in a boot loop yesterday and the person helping me had me put the 2.1 zip on my card (which wouldn't mount in clockwork, but would run and install through boot... no idea why) just so I could have a stock, working phone again. I'm still s-off and about 18 hours later haven't received my OTA for 2.2...

All this to say there's something up with these phones and SD cards. I've got 3 sitting on my desk right now, hoping I can get one to work enough to get my phone back to how I liked it...

Upvote 0
Ok, I have spent 5 hours on my phone tonight trying to get back to 2.1, then 2.2, then rooted again. Here's what I've found with the SD cards in my situation:

Formatting with my computer does absolutely nothing. It's a waste of time because it will say everything is formatted correctly, but WILL NOT mount on the phone. I had to go to my settings and SD & phone storage. There I could see that my card was either a- not mounted, or b- had much, much less of a capacity than it was supposed to. My 4GB card kept saying that it only had a 200MB capacity and that it was full. I had to unmount, format, and mount over and over and over again until the capacity was finally correct.

I hope this helps someone... I've got 2 of my 3 cards working so far... hope it sticks!

Upvote 0
I rooted my phone a while back using Unrevoked (running 2.1). When 2.2 came out OTA, I noticed my phone did not get the update, so I tried to unroot my phone. Even though I was able to unroot, I never did receive the OTA update to 2.2.

So I just tried these instructions, and now during the upgrade process, it gets stuck at the red triangle with an exclamation point. Did I just brick my phone? Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
So I just tried these instructions, and now during the upgrade process, it gets stuck at the red triangle with an exclamation point. Did I just brick my phone? Any suggestions?

It's not bricked. Check out sdrawkcab's idea. Also, the triangle almost sounds like the stock recovery, not sure why you would be getting that since recovery isn't used in this process at all...it's loaded directly from hboot. If you received any specific errors, please post them. It will help us to better diagnose.

If you verify the proper MD5, I'd run it again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones