• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [How To] Return To Gingerbread And S-on

I installed the first leaked GB build on my brother's Incredible and now he wants to go back to froyo so he can root and then install MIUI. Problem is we cant get anything to work to go back to froyo. We tried the PB31IMG.zip from first page of this thread and got a " hboot main version is older update fail" and then we tried the RUU and end up with an error 140: unable to update your android phone" error. what the hell? we just wanna go back to froyo so we can use unrevoked to root and then install MIUI. please help. thanks.

Was his phone rooted previously and if so, is it s-off?

Upvote 0
I believe the "main version is older" problem can be solved if you downgrade your hboot.
Hboot files can be found at doug piston they are installed just like the downgrade method described in this thread.

Are you sure those aren't extracted though? Just guessing you'd need s-off to load them but if not, there's a way out for a whole lot of people.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I thought the same thing and even recently posted this as at XDA as a possible way to get out of this mess. The above link references the same thread I referenced which was Adrynalye's hboot revert trick. Problem is that I think it requires root to access the /data partition. At that time, we weren't crippled with the inability to maintain root like we are now on GB. I hope I'm wrong because this would solve all root problems from here forward on the Inc.

Upvote 0
I thought the same thing and even recently posted this as at XDA as a possible way to get out of this mess. The above link references the same thread I referenced which was Adrynalye's hboot revert trick. Problem is that I think it requires root to access the /data partition. At that time, we weren't crippled with the inability to maintain root like we are now on GB. I hope I'm wrong because this would solve all root problems from here forward on the Inc.

ah okay, so the users who installed the leak without getting s-off first may be stuck for now.

Upvote 0
ah okay, so the users who installed the leak without getting s-off first may be stuck for now.

Exactly what im thinking. My guess is the hboots are extracted from the official Rom.zips so they lose the official signature and can only be flashed with s-off. Hboot downgrade was my first thought too though man, we think alike. :D

I should probably add a disclaimer to this thread now that people are getting GB on their phones. Once the RUU is released, it'll be time for a new downgrade thread.

Upvote 0
Added to the OP:

ATTENTION:
If you have updated to Gingerbread by way of the RUU or OTA, this procedure will NOT work for you. There was an update to hboot in 2.3.4 that will not allow a return to the stock 2.2 configuration. You will get a "main version is older" failure which is Verizon's way of saying don't try to hack your way backward to work around our patching of the current root exploit. Your option now is to wait and hope that a new root exploit is found.

If you were previously rooted at any time, check your hboot for an "s-off" designation at the top of the hboot screen (with phone off, hold volume down while pressing power button to get into hboot). If you have s-off, you can push clockwork either using adb or by using a PB31IMG on the SD card which contains the necessary CWM recovery files, both of which are outside the realm of this thread. Please pose questions in the root forum if this describes your situation and you need assistance.

If you are still on 2.2 with root and you still want to unroot (original intent of this thread), continue on. This process will still work for you:

Upvote 0
was the phone ever rooted?

Was his phone rooted previously and if so, is it s-off?

Oh crap, so he may be stuck until this leaked version can be rooted? Its not really a problem I guess as the phone is stable, and boots incredibly fast (pun intended :D) but he has been really wanting to put MIUI on it. Guess he has some waitin' to do. Thanks everyone. In the meantime, I will keep checking this thread for a workaround on getting either rooted or back to froyo to root.

P.S. It is apparent to me that I don't know the proper use of the multi-quote button. Haha

Upvote 0
This morning (rooted) I received a notification that I had an update.. I'm assuming thats the OTA2.3.. so i did this method.. its been about 2 hours since reboot.. no notifcation.. and when i go to the system update option it says my system is up to date.. system info says I have 2.2.. any advice?

I'm guessing you'll get the update notification again. It may just take awhile.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, interesting. I've never seen this happen. Just want to run down the series of events to make sure we are on the same page:

You have the file placed on the root of the SD card. It shows up on the card as PB31IMG.zip (caps matter). Then you goto hboot and it recognizes the file after a few seconds, then you press volume up to load it. You then see a progress bar moving on the far right hand side of the screen. When it's done (perhaps 10-20 minutes), you reboot to system and that's when you have the boot loop problem. Is everything above exactly how it's happening? Any ommisions to the process or extra things I didn't mention?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones