• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to return to pure V4 or V6 Verizon stock with only CWM recovery

I had a md5 mismatch yesterday while returning to stock v6. I had extracted the file using my file manager on the phone because I downloaded the v6 zip using my phone. What I did to fix it was drag and drop the v6 stock zip onto my pc and then used my pc to extract it and then placed the extracted file onto my phone in it's proper place and it ran fine.

Of course I don't know if you used your phone to extract the file but if you did you might try what I did.

Upvote 0
I did download the zip files by PC then extracted them on PC and copied over to sdcard. so I wish that was the issue, but don't believe that it is.

Besides the fact that I'm unable to go back to stock; in the midst of trying; now clockwork mod won't reboot into recovery... although i'm still rooted, and running broken out. It's not bricked either... just keeps booting up like normal as I try to enter reboot into recovery from CWM

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Upvote 0
I did download the zip files by PC then extracted them on PC and copied over to sdcard. so I wish that was the issue, but don't believe that it is.

Besides the fact that I'm unable to go back to stock; in the midst of trying; now clockwork mod won't reboot into recovery... although i'm still rooted, and running broken out. It's not bricked either... just keeps booting up like normal as I try to enter reboot into recovery from CWM

if you can still get into the phone like normal then try rerunning the all in one package and reinstall CWM then redownload the v6 stock file and try the process again.

If you can't get it to work still, then maybe try the flashing lg signed firmware method.

Upvote 0
the all in one did get CWM back for me. (that was really weird for a while). but it was unsuccessful at un-rooting, and stock recovery- both of which are my end goal.

Still same issues with md5 sums mismatch. if anyone knows a work around i'd greatly appreciate it.

fixing to research lg signature method.

BTW- is this reverting to v6 and stock something everyone will have to do before an ICS OTA update?

Upvote 0
The best fix for the md5 mismatch is to
re download and do not extract the files. Our just generate a new md5 sum for each component and put them in the md5 file. If you are sure the fines have not been corrupted or messed with

I tried redownloading and not extracting the files. Without extraction it is still a zip, so instead of "Backup and restore", I did "install zip from sdcard". Results were: "finding update package", "opening update package", "installation update" and "installation aborted" (not on my behalf) all very briefly within a few seconds. So no luck by not extracting the files.

As far as using the extracted ones and restoring either v4 or v6 no root, it's always an md5 sum mismatch. What is md5?

How can I generate a few md5 into one sum and generate one file as you mentioned?

I have a replacement coming and I would love to not be charged $300 for this one when I ship it back in its place.

Upvote 0

Did you extract into cwm backup directory, uncompressed? Worked fine for me. Don't use V4.

Upvote 0
Yes, extracted uncompressed directly into cwm backup folder.

What is the md5 supposed to be? After extraction, for both the v4 and v6, the nandroid is merely 1kb. Seems excessively small, but I don't know anything about the file in general. Is that where my issue is?

Yes, the backup should be at least 700 MB. There is where your problem lies. If need be I can post the files I used, on Monday as they are on my work pc.

Upvote 0
Heres another link, posted and maintained by Finndo:

Index of /spectrum/stock

Thanks, I was getting there... :)
Been driving all day, just got around to checking the forums.
That is the reason I mirror the files, I always get mad when things disappear over time, as I am normally late to the party and then cannot find what I need as the links are duds by the time I did them.

Upvote 0
Heres another link, posted and maintained by Finndo:

Index of /spectrum/stock

The V6 at that link is rooted and does not contain the restore recovery zip for V6 that you would need to take ICS. As for the original links, they still work when I click them. If someone is getting 1k files, please let me know they exact http link you are using.

Upvote 0
I tried redownloading and not extracting the files. Without extraction it is still a zip, so instead of "Backup and restore", I did "install zip from sdcard". Results were: "finding update package", "opening update package", "installation update" and "installation aborted" (not on my behalf) all very briefly within a few seconds. So no luck by not extracting the files.

As far as using the extracted ones and restoring either v4 or v6 no root, it's always an md5 sum mismatch. What is md5?

How can I generate a few md5 into one sum and generate one file as you mentioned?

I have a replacement coming and I would love to not be charged $300 for this one when I ship it back in its place.

I do not recommend generating a new md5 checksum. It is there for a reason. And when the update checks your phone, it checks every file for the individual checksums, so if something is restored wrong, you will not be able to take the update.

Upvote 0
The V6 at that link is rooted and does not contain the restore recovery zip for V6 that you would need to take ICS. As for the original links, they still work when I click them. If someone is getting 1k files, please let me know they exact http link you are using.

I just downloaded v6 no root last week and it worked then. I used it to return to stock 2 days ago.

Upvote 0
Neph stated this in the directions, but I just wanted to throw this there again for people returning to stock. Before you reflash the stock recovery, you might just want to reboot after restoring the stock nandroid and check to make sure all of the software versions etc are correct. ie Android Version v.2.3.6 and Software version VS920ZV6. If you catch problems before you reflash stock recovery then you still have access to CWM, otherwise if something isnt right you then need to restore CWM in AllinOne Tool. Its not a huge hassle doing that but something to think about.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones