• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to revert to factory default so Kies can update to ICS?

philled

Lurker
Mar 9, 2012
I rooted my SGSII a while ago and have been runing custom ROMs. Before I installed any custom ROMs I backed up my stock ROM that was on the phone when I got it. I've now restored that stock ROM because I want to get the ICS update via Kies.

But Kies says "Your device does not support software upgrading via Kies". It says my current firmware version is:

I9100XWKK2/I9100XSAKK1/I9100XXLP6/I9100XWKK2 (EUR)

BTW, I'm assuming (EUR) means Eurrope which is odd because I'm in Australia. However I got this phone by cashing in some frequent flyer reward points so perhaps it was sourced from Europe somewhere.

Is it disallowing software upgrading because of my current firmware? Or is it because the phone is still rooted (I've read that may upset Kies)? How can I get the phone back into a state where Kies will allow me to upgrade to ICS?

Welcome to the forum philled and thanks for joining.
Kies won't recognise your phone as the backup you did would've had a rooted kernel. If you flash a stock kernel kies should recognise it but from one rooter to another, I wouldn't bother. Its pot luck which carriers get the release first so you could be waiting months. But its guaranteed a week after the official release there will be flashes through Odin or custom roms running ics. Personally I'd stay rooted and get the best of both worlds.

Upvote 0
But its guaranteed a week after the official release there will be flashes through Odin or custom roms running ics. Personally I'd stay rooted and get the best of both worlds.
Thanks for the advice. I think you're probably right. I'll sit tight and go down the Odin path. One thing I'd like to do, though, is flash the stock Samsung ICS rather than one that a dev's customised. Where do you think the best place is to watch out for a stock Samsung ICS ROM? Is XDA_Developers the place or will a stock ROM appear somewhere else first?

Upvote 0
It's probably best to keep an eye on this this xda thread after ics release day. It will be updated pretty quickly
[ROM+Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares K/G/H/I/J/KK1/2/5/KL1/2/3/LA2,4/LB2 Download - xda-developers

I have a UK unbranded S2 and used that XDA thread to update to offical 2.3.4 via Odin last year (XWKI4/XXKI1/XEU). I then waited for an official update to 2.3.5 or 2.3.6 in that 'Official Firmwares' part of the thread, but never saw a UK one - hence I thought I may as well wait for ICS now.

Does anyone know if the ICS update for the UK unbranded S2 will appear in the 'offical firmwares' part of that thread once ICS is released (soon I hope :) )?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones