• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to revert to previous Nova Launcher

vosg

Android Expert
Aug 12, 2010
Antwerp, BE
Nova Launcher recently had a major upgrade, but many users (including me) don't really like it (understatement). A lot of functionality has been removed, and the Play Store is littered with one star ratings and bad reviews.

TeslaCoil offers a download link to the previous version on their website, but you cannot install it. Way to go, TeslaCoil!

Here's how you can roll back if you are disappointed:

1. In the new Nova Launcher, go to Nova Settings, Backup and Import, and back up your settings.

2. Uninstall Nova Launcher completely.

3. Download Nova Launcher Classic 3.3 from their website.

4. Open it and go to Nova Settings, backup and import, and navigate to your backed up settings.

This will restore almost everything, you'll just have to redo some of your widgets.

Reactions: electricpete
Well excuse me!! I'm not "just complaining", I'm offering a working method for people who want to roll back. If that offends you, I don't care.

What I don't like about the new version is not relevant, but anyway:

1. The pages overview no longer offers a one screen overview of the home pages, instead you have to scroll through a list.

2. Long pressing empty spot on home screen no longer allows you to add apps.

3. No more tab for widgets in app drawer.

They suggest I download the previous version from their website, but it fails to install as long as i have the newer version installed.

Upvote 0
I converted to the new version ...

The app drawer changes now mean that I don't need the tabs at the top of the page so I turned them off and have a 6x5 matrix instead of 5x5.

The new home page layout approach is new and is actually nicer after you use it for a while.

The only thing that is annoying to me (but not a show stopper) is the white background on their Nova Settings screen. It is almost blinding on my Droid Turbo. I hope they add an option for white on black.

Is there something else that I missed?

... Thom

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm rooted, I make regular backups, I auto update most everything because 1) I don't mind staying current, bugs or no bugs, and 2) I tend to recommend apps often, so probably best I know what they're doing.

Here's the thing for me - I have been in and out of press the screen, don't press the screen, press the screen, don't press the screen to add a widget or shortcut - or press the screen, but don't get a local position, launch a cartoon to drag a widget to wherever. Iow, the exciting HTC innovation that everyone in the press fell over backwards for in 2012 -

1431626109164.jpg

And frankly, I'm tired of it.

As a matter of faith, I want to be able to press a spot on a home page and work locally.

This silly quirk of mine is one of the reasons why I have preferred Nova over my stock launcher

Reactions: GameTheory
Upvote 0
The fate of far too many apps - get it right, run out of significant things to update, updates add perception of value, so update just to mix it up and follow the fads.

Alienate your core base, wonder what went wrong.

I've gone back to the X-plore File Manager. It looks and works pretty much as it did 5 years ago.

I have no idea what possessed me to stop using it in the first place.

When the problem doesn't change and you already have the classic solution for the market, stick with it.

Reactions: KOLIO and vosg
Upvote 0
Yeah, the new way of adding widgets is definitely slower, not least because all those big previews take much longer to scroll through (and I'm not convinced that changing direction of scrolling is all that efficient). And the scrolling sideways in the homepages overview reminds me too much of some other launchers I stopped using 3-4 years ago, and is much clumsier for rearranging desktops.

As I never used the widget drawer, and never put app launchers on my desktop, I'm probably less affected by the changes than some. But it isn't really a usability gain for me. I have given the developer feedback on the changes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The new Nova UI is rather nice.
  • The colors of the Nova settings pages need some tweaking. The white is almost blinding on my Turbo.
  • The new screen layout method is nicer. It does not support infinite scroll (yet) and needs to. When you move a home page you are stopped at the left and right border.
Neither is a show stopper.

... Thom

Reactions: GameTheory
Upvote 0
I actually like the new nova, not bad at all. As already mentioned though I wish the background was black, but not a deal breaker by any means.

@Thom
Infinite scroll has been working for me. Just click the toggle in the settings to enable it if you haven't already. You may need to reload nova after enabling it. I've tried it on kk444 & JB412 if that matters. Will try on lollipop later to see.

@DanL
Yes, just long press the app drawer icon then tap the icon in the popup and then select the transparent drawer.

Reactions: DanL
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones