• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [How To] Root 2.3.4/downgrade and Get S-off

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first step is not downgrading, it is getting root on 2.3.4... reread the instructions a few times (extremely carefully!), then read them again, then figure out a game plan if something goes wrong. every step has to be followed exactly.

Your sd card also has to be formatted to FAT32.

Please don't laugh but how do I know if it is FAT32? I just put in a new sd card, my other was giving up the ghost?

Upvote 0
sorry for the shortness of my replys the last couple days,guys. been a busy couple days and i havent had much time for the actual computer :eek: krisdr,sdraws advice is excellent. download everthing,check the md5s,and organize it all.

then just do one step at a time... i see alot of folks that are a bit overwelmed to just run unrevoked 3.22 first and get root,take a breather for a day or 2,then continue. you can technically stop there,but as iowa said,i think it is well worth the efforts to dowgrade and achieve s-off.

where are you located? if youre aywhere near dayton,ohio,id be happy to help you with it :)

Upvote 0
ok so now ive got superuser, flashed to 2.2, tried to run unrevoked 3.32 and it gets to "running root..." then just stops and doesnt do anything...

if youve gotten yourself down to 2.2 thats the tricky part ;) unrevoked 3.32 has been the root standard for the incredible for quite a long time,might want to do some searches in the rest of the forum,maybe post up a new thread,as your questions/issues arent being seen here by ALOT of folks that may know the answers.

did unrevoked install clockwork recovery? if so,your root solution is easy :)

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well thanks, but now my phone keeps on saying its only 30% charged. So idk my other question is, it says my phone needs to be turned on but I only can get it on hboot. So what do I do now?

this file is a .exe file. you wont need to turn the phone on. boot into hboot,then select fastboot with the power button. now right click on the download for the gingerbread .exe and "run as administrator" if it gives you that option. otherwise,just double click on it.

if your battery isnt being charged with the phone off,you may need to find someone with another inc,eris,or something else that battery fits in and have them charge it for you. alternatively,you could prolly take it to a store and have them charge it.

Oh my goodness, it is working. I did not have to pull the battery. It went straight to ClockworkMod Recovery. I am lost on the instructions. What do I do directly next. I have options of reboot now, apply update,wiped ata,wipe cache, install zip, backup, mounts and storage, advanced and power off.....what do I do?

lol,glad its working. you can go ahead and make a backup if you want(its a good idea) and then just reboot. or if you want,just reboot and then you can go back to recovery later if you want to make a backup.

Upvote 0
the file is a .zip file. right click on it,and then click extract. this should put all the stuff inside into a regular,non-zipped filder.

in windows 7,if you right click onthe start bubble,then click on "open windows explorer" it will open a window that shows all of the different drives on your computer.

take the non-zipped normal folder that you exctracted,then put it onto the C drive in this window. you can do this by right clicking on the folder,then click copy,then go to the c drive and click "paste".

you can also open 2 of the explorer windows,one showing all your drives,and the other showing your extracted file. you can use your mouse to drag it from one place to another. this is personally how i move files,but either way is fine.

if you cannot extract the .zip like i described above,you may need to download a utility called "7 zip" to use to extract it.

hope that helps :)

Upvote 0
this file is a .exe file. you wont need to turn the phone on. boot into hboot,then select fastboot with the power button. now right click on the download for the gingerbread .exe and "run as administrator" if it gives you that option. otherwise,just double click on it.

if your battery isnt being charged with the phone off,you may need to find someone with another inc,eris,or something else that battery fits in and have them charge it for you. alternatively,you could prolly take it to a store and have them charge it.

lol,glad its working. you can go ahead and make a backup if you want(its a good idea) and then just reboot. or if you want,just reboot and then you can go back to recovery later if you want to make a backup.[/QUOTE

Thanks got it working. So I still want it rooted, should I do it and if so. What do I do different so it works? Thanks again for all you guys help

Upvote 0
this is on computer or phone? it is extracted, could there be an additional issue? thanks

should be on your computer. give some more details of what you do and what happens as a result. a copy/paste of your entire command box may help

to copy:right click in the box. click mark. highlight everything. hit enter.

in your post here,click the # at the top to get the
Code:
 tags. right click and paste your text betwen the code tags.

Upvote 0
Ok. So I am ready to do the fourth step and downgrade with abd. I am in charge mode, 100% charged, USB debugging is on and I type in what was listed in the instructions and this is what I got.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\kris>cd c:\mini-adb_inc
The system cannot find the path specified.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Upvote 0
When you say to put the extracted folder on the root of your c\ drive, what do you mean exactly? Please do not laugh.

C:\Users\kris>cd c:\mini-adb_inc
The system cannot find the path specified.

Anyone have any suggestions?

It sounds like the mini-adb_inc zip is in fact NOT on the root of the c: drive. What this means is that you go to your c drive and place the file directly on the drive such that it is not inside another folder.

When you use windows explorer and you notice a folder on your c:, some of them may have a + by it. When you click on that, it will expand out perhaps several more folders and they may also have subfolders. You do not want that situation where you have to drill into a bunch of folders to get to mini-adb_inc. Think tree diagram...where the c: is the trunk (or root). You want this zip to be an only branch such that it reports directly to the c: drive itself and nothing else.

I apologize if I overexplained that.

Reactions: scotty85 and krisdr
Upvote 0
should be on your computer. give some more details of what you do and what happens as a result. a copy/paste of your entire command box may help

to copy:right click in the box. click mark. highlight everything. hit enter.

in your post here,click the # at the top to get the
Code:
 tags. right click and paste your text betwen the code tags.[/QUOTE]

disregard, it was in sleep mode, that is now fixed but now it wont load the pb file from boot loader, it says quickly something about wrong image or file.  and then stops. thanks

Upvote 0
Got past all the commands. the instructions say that after you put in adb reboot bootloader is will take you to fastboot then select bootloader. I tried that but it just went to the hboot. What do I do?

It's supposed to goto hboot. You should have the PB31IMG.zip file on the root of your fat32 formatted SD card. If all goes well, that zip should be autodetected. It will then prompt you to load the file by pressing the volume up button.

So, either the file isn't on the card, isn't on the root of the card, or the card didn't take the fat32 formatting you should have already done/verified.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones