• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [How To] Root 2.3.4/downgrade and Get S-off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I successfully rooted my own Droid Incredible, and it worked fine.

However, my brother's Dinc doesn't seem to work as well. I get to
adb push mtd0.img /sdcard/ and it says "failed to copy ... Permission Denied.

I reformatted his SD card as FAT32, and began the process from scratch, but it still doesn't work. Any thoughts?

Edit: I verified that the md5sums are correct, as well.

Using my SD card rather than his does not work, either.

DISREGARD THIS POST, I forgot my phone was still in disk mode sorry to waste your time.

Thanks for the guide,
Iconography

cool,glad you figured it out,and posted the fix for others to see :cool:

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
Ok, I'm a total noob at root. I received the 2.3.4 OTA upgrade and really want to root to a more stock Android experience at this point. I'm trying to follow the instructions here but I can't even get into hboot! Holding volume down and power isn't doing anything for me. What am I missing?

Phone must be off before going into hboot?

Upvote 0
hey scotty,
im new to this whole rooting thing but you've been a big help in getting me started. But it seems that i am having the exact same problem that PSUBALL10 had. Whenever i put my phone in charge only mode my sd card root doesnt show up at all so i couldnt put the PB31IMG.zip in it. to try and solve this i switched to disk drive mode, put the zip file in there and switched back to charge only. then i followed the rest of the instruction but im getting the same thing that PSUBALL10 got when it boots into fastboot and i select bootloader.

Can you please help.

Upvote 0
hey scotty,
im new to this whole rooting thing but you've been a big help in getting me started. But it seems that i am having the exact same problem that PSUBALL10 had. Whenever i put my phone in charge only mode my sd card root doesnt show up at all so i couldnt put the PB31IMG.zip in it. to try and solve this i switched to disk drive mode, put the zip file in there and switched back to charge only. then i followed the rest of the instruction but im getting the same thing that PSUBALL10 got when it boots into fastboot and i select bootloader.

Can you please help.

sorry,i dont know what else to tell you other than whats been stated in the post following his. maybe re-read posts 129-150 and see if that helps.

assuming you dont unzip PB31IMG,snf you place it on the ROOT of your sd(not inside a folder) there are only 2 reasons the PB31IMG is not seen and asked to update:
1)the sd card is not formatted FAT32
2)the file is not named correctly. if you view the file on your phone,with astro file manager(or something similar) you should see PB31IMG.zip windows is notorious for adding the file extension automatically,then hiding it,so since the vast majority of people use windows i say "rename PB31IMG" because otherwise,folks try and type in the .zip file extension,effectively naming the file "PB31IMG.zip.zip :eek: if youre not using windows,the file may actually just be named PB31IMG wich is somewhat comfusing,but also why its not finding the file. the phone needs to see the file exactly as PB31IMG.zip

so in a nutshell,one of those 2 things is wrong,you just need to figure out exactly wich one :)

you might try and PM PSUBALL10 and see if he can add any insight to what finally fixed his

Upvote 0
I can't answer that for sure. I'd give it a try... worse thing that can happen is it will fail :) pick he. 97 hboot if it doesn't give you any other option when you run it

**update**
I tried it and get a message saying "no hboot for 0.98 at this time. Press any key to exit."
So anyone know if there is a root for the DINC 2 2.3.4 or soon to be?
Any other method I could try?
Thanks.

Upvote 0
apparently you have 2 options with the dinc 2 with .98 hboot(i just picked one up :)):
1)xtc clip(the route i went with mine)
2)use zergRush to gain temp root and rolll back to .97 so you can use revolutionary. directions here(not mine): [Tool] Downgrade VivoW with hboot 0.98 - xda-developers

hope that helps :)

radio s-off with locked hboot... makes me giggle :)
IMG_20111021_185124.jpg

lil off topic i know... *scotty85 gets back on track now* :p

Upvote 0
This thread actually inspired me to finally make an account to thank scotty85 for this great tutorial.

So far I have only performed the first part (root) and I can confirm that it worked without any problems.

I am not sure when I will downgrade to obtain s-off, but I am sure I will soon and feel confident following the process laid out in this thread.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
I noticed after finishing the downgrade and root that my phone still says S-ON in HBoot. It doesn't seem to act like it is S-ON since I flashed CM7.1.0 and CM nightly 233 without any problems. Did unrevoked actually fail to turn S-OFF or is it just not updating the text in HBoot?

there is a box in the 'file' menu to "disable phone security" that may have started being unchecked by default. or maybe its some kind of glitch since a few have reported being s-on after running unrevoked forever on the downgrade. :thinking:

s-on actually has nothing to do with your ability to flash different roms and kernels in recovery. what it does affect is your ability to flash things in hboot that are not signed by htc,like radios,recoveries,and older RUUs.

id strongly suggest continuing on to become s-off... all you need do now is download the s-off tool from unrevoked and flash it in recovery,like you do a rom :)

public:forever [RootWiki]

Upvote 0
there is a box in the 'file' menu to "disable phone security" that may have started being unchecked by default. or maybe its some kind of glitch since a few have reported being s-on after running unrevoked forever on the downgrade. :thinking:

s-on actually has nothing to do with your ability to flash different roms and kernels in recovery. what it does affect is your ability to flash things in hboot that are not signed by htc,like radios,recoveries,and older RUUs.

Okay, thanks :) I wasn't 100% sure what s-on restricted, thanks for clarifying for me. I'll keep going.

Edit: S-off with Unrevoked forever confirmed. Thanks a lot for your help.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones