How to root after offical 2.1 update?

Last Updated:

1. CardinalFan22

CardinalFan22 Active Member This Topic's Starter

i searched so dont tell me im being lazy please. Ok so i accepted the 2.1 offical update from verizon on my droid and have been patiently waiting for 2.2 for flash:rolleyes:! But we all know verizon etc take for ever to update so im going try to take the plunge and root for 2.2 if someone can point me to a thread or just tell me it would help alot. :D

Advertisement
  2. mjweier

mjweier Member

I'm actually having the same questions! If I have 2.1-update 1, do I need to revert back to 2.0.1 before rooting? or can you just root straight from 2.1?

3. jxker

jxker Well-Known Member

theres a thread here somewhere that tells you how to use rsd lite and sprecovery in the "all things root" forum...the search function has given me trouble in the past, too:(

4. antron007

antron007 Active Member

I found this page very helpful. I still haven't rooted yet but I Just found this earlier today.

http://www.droid-life.com/2010/05/06/guide-to-rooting-android-2-1-on-a-motorola-droid/

Hope it helps. I think its very easy to follow.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. Nicks88

Nicks88 Well-Known Member

6. mjweier

mjweier Member

Hmmm, this does help a ton! but is there a difference between 2.1 and 2.1-update 1? I'm worried of following this setup, but then bricking my phone because I'm using the updated version, when this is written for stock 2.1...

Hmm, any insight?

7. Nicks88

Just follow the guide and you will be fine.

8. mjweier

mjweier Member

One more question...

If I root, and put bugless beast or something like that on my droid, will I lose all apps and settings?

9. Nicks88

Titanium Backup. Get it, use it, love it.

10. antron007

antron007 Active Member

If I'm not mistaken you have to be rooted to use titanium backup. So you would have to install a rooted mod to use it therefore loosing the apps.

I haven't rooted yet because I don't want to loose my apps. So now I have a question.

If I back my apps up with astro file manager then root will restoring them with astro work? I'd probably loose the data though wouldn't I?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

11. mjweier

mjweier Member

Yeah, that's what I was looking at. I just downloaded it but it said that you couldn't do anything with it unless it's already rooted, which wipes ur apps and settings. :( Rooting is complicated! haha

12. Nicks88

Not familiar with Astro backing up apps, but seriously, how hard can it be? Sure, it may be a pain, but write down your important apps, make note of your settings, and root. It is only as complicated as you make it. Once you get set up, you will be able to save whatever with Titanium Backup, and restore from that point on when you switch roms. It's easy going once you settle in with a new rom.

I am thinking that by saying "Rooting is complicated", you really meant that "a rooted phone is time consuming". And it is. 15 minutes to root, and forever to set up roms how you want them. You will be flashing roms left and right, and will spend most of your time setting it up. Just when you get it the way you want it, another rom comes out that you have to try out. Its a vicious cycle that never ends.

13. CardinalFan22

CardinalFan22 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Still confused on if it is still possible to root after accepting the 2.1 update i forgot to back up 2.0.1 before i did update and i heard that 2.1 blocked root access

14. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

you can use RSDlite to flash sprecovery on your phone then apply the update.zip that OMJ supplied which gives you root access. or as soon as you get sprecovery you can just flash what ever rom you want. it is all documented in this thread http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/63010-how-install-sprecovery-unrooted-2-1-ota.html

15. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

My Droid was current with all pushed updates this morning. I followed the rooting guide at theunlockr.com step by step (which does have you downgrade to 2.0.1), and then you can install the 2.2 ROM they have linked. Works great!

CardinalFan22 likes this.
  16. HalfFrozen

HalfFrozen Well-Known Member

17. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

18. HalfFrozen

HalfFrozen Well-Known Member

Trust me, the videos in there are extremely simple to follow.

19. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

yes and they are in the original sticky.