• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To How to root and install droid 2.1

Quick questions.

I have managed to root and update to 2.1. I have to admit I am really impressed with the bootsplash and live wall papers.

However, it appears Google Maps and My Tracks (the only gps aps i've checked) only function via AGPS (cell towers), is this right or am I doing something wrong?

Also if it is AGPS only for those two, does google nav use real GPS still ?

Upvote 0
Quick questions.

I have managed to root and update to 2.1. I have to admit I am really impressed with the bootsplash and live wall papers.

However, it appears Google Maps and My Tracks (the only gps aps i've checked) only function via AGPS (cell towers), is this right or am I doing something wrong?

Also if it is AGPS only for those two, does google nav use real GPS still ?

i know aGPS is working in place of regular GPS but i dont know about google nav

Upvote 0
Got 2.1 up and running and I love it, I have 1 question though... The version of 2.1 I put on is HC's and I now do not have su permission. So my question is, if I were to switch to a different version of 2.1, would I have to reroot my droid (and will rooting be the same process?) and follow all of these steps again, or could I just put the new version in the nandroid folder, wipe and load it up?? Thanks for your help!

no you dont have to reroot and as of now, from what i know, this is the only rom that doesnt require the adb shell so you can replace this rom w/ another 2.1 but you would have to set up the android sdk, tools and adb shell to format. i chose this rom b/c it's alot easier to install and is more stable and smoother and it also has the updated music app

Upvote 0
So does this mean we are stuck on it? Or when we want to switch it can we just wipe the phone and do a nandroid restore to a different version?

you're never stuck on one rom, if you're able to flash one, you can flash another but i chose this because it's an easier process w/ a faster and more stable rom so if you want to go on to another rom, you'll have to do a different process that involves the android sdk, usb drivers and the adb shell

Upvote 0
When you do add this feature to the ROM...do I have to re root? or can I just copy the files to the nandroid backup folder and then do recovery?

im not a dev, i just try to put everything they in layman's terms and no you dont have to reroot and it depends on the method needed for the rom. some uses an update.zip while others use nandroid w/ or w/o having to use adb shell

Upvote 0
I installed 2.1 a week ago and have been living with it. I just reverted mine back to the 2.0.1 version originally on the phone. The bugs in the UI are too much of a PITA to make it worthwhile if you ask me. The upgrades are all really just window dressing. I didn't notice any speed improvements that people are talking about. The UI on 2.0.1 seems snappier than the 2.1 ROM. The live wallpapers look neat, but the one I really like, Nexus, is non-functional... and the animated ones suck battery life. Too many of the screens do not switch to landscape mode. These include the home screen when car docked, messaging. The application list screen gets all wonky in landscape too. The "back" history seems to act unpredictably. The phone rebooted spontaneously 4-5 times over the week. The hard keyboard backlight fails to work more often than works. Aside from these issues there are other random UI anomalies and quirks.

Upvote 0
I installed 2.1 a week ago and have been living with it. I just reverted mine back to the 2.0.1 version originally on the phone. The bugs in the UI are too much of a PITA to make it worthwhile if you ask me. The upgrades are all really just window dressing. I didn't notice any speed improvements that people are talking about. The UI on 2.0.1 seems snappier than the 2.1 ROM. The live wallpapers look neat, but the one I really like, Nexus, is non-functional... and the animated ones suck battery life. Too many of the screens do not switch to landscape mode. These include the home screen when car docked, messaging. The application list screen gets all wonky in landscape too. The "back" history seems to act unpredictably. The phone rebooted spontaneously 4-5 times over the week. The hard keyboard backlight fails to work more often than works. Aside from these issues there are other random UI anomalies and quirks.

i havent experienced any of that even w/ the previous rom i uploaded from greek and it's only gotten better w/ the rom i posted by humancyborg so if you want, you can try out the rom i have posted right now and see how that goes

Upvote 0
i havent experienced any of that even w/ the previous rom i uploaded from greek and it's only gotten better w/ the rom i posted by humancyborg so if you want, you can try out the rom i have posted right now and see how that goes

Thanks! Can't hurt to try. I'm pretty sure mine was the Greek ROM. Can you provide a link to the ROM you mention? Looked at some of your posts but don't see it.

Upvote 0
isnt the official 2.1 release coming out in January though?

Motorola stated @ their keynote that all their android phones will be getting 2.1 but without a timeline. that's why this option exists, plus it's been here for awhile so people like me who are interested in getting things beforehand don't have to wait till the 2.1 sdk is released and then the official over the air[ota] update. even the official ota is sent little by little so lets say the rollout begins at the beginning of February. most wont have the update for another 2 weeks but like i said, this is just an alternate route provided by the rooting community

Upvote 0
is there the nexus one wallpaper in the humancyborg's rom? and when i upgraded my droid from 2.0.1 to 2.1 using Greek's rom, all my downloaded apps were deleted, but they were saved in a list in the market application under the downloads tab. will this occur again if i upgrade to humancyborg's?

the regular nexus one wallpapers are there but as far the default live wallpaper, for some odd reason that's the only live wallpaper that doesnt work in any rom and in the original 2.1 dump and yes to your question about the market but for me i have ALOT of apps so there's always one or 2 missing so that's why i recommend having a list regardless

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones