How to root Australia Telstra branded HTC Desire Froyo??

Last Updated:

1. UncleStalin

UncleStalin Member This Topic's Starter

I recently updated OTA to Froyo on my Desire( sorta forgot to backup all my apps due to sheer excitement that i got froyo :( , im pretty noob to android and smart phones ).
    I am very interested in rooting my phone but only reason i didnt look into it much further in Eclair was the reason that it voided warranty so just incase something happened i didnt root it.
    But now im leaving the country and it dont matter and i got froyo i want to root my phone.
    There are many tutorials on how to root but being a noob im not really 100% on the process.
    So here are my questions
    Can i root my 2.2 htc desire??
    How do i root it ?
    What methods are the easy and safest way?
    What roms should i use?
    And if you guys can point out anything else i need that would be awesome.

Thanks for reading :)

Advertisement
  2. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

theres already a thread here, please use the search or actually read the forum

3. Chris333

Chris333 Member

Telstra finally released 2.2???

First question... why do you want to root it? I only rooted because Telstra took so effing long to release 2.2, now that it's out... are you only doing it because everyone else is?

4. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

This is a valid question, I have rooted in the past out of curiosity but am now back to stock as it does what I need it to.

Most root due to lack of internal storage (and because they're app whores). Others prefer to remove the bloatware the operators put on the handsets.

Only root if you actually NEED to, not cause everyone else does

5. Chris333

Chris333 Member

Yeah, it wasn't meant to be a flame if that's how it looks, because as far as I know Froyo already can move apps to SD? (Which would solve the internal storage issue, which was why I desperately needed 2.2, I'm a massive app whore :D)

6. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

It can and it can't...

It moves the app itself but the data is still left on internal storage. It doesn't work as well as the A2SD+ which is on custom ROMs but it's better than Android 2.1

Hopefully 2.3 may improve on thie further - who knows