• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to root AXIS detailed instructions

Lazerath

Lurker
Feb 28, 2011
Detailed instructions on how I rooted my LGAS740 Axis

I used the rageaginstthecage, Superuser.apk, su, ADB method
I used Win 7 x64 with the 32bit tool-kits so this is a windows 32 bit Rooting

**** YOU SHOULD READ THE WHOLE POST BEFORE ROOTING ****

First, we need to get the necessary files.
You can get the rageaginstthecage, Superuser.apk, and su from here:
Axis_root.zip - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com
You will have to search the internet if you want the latest versions but these worked for me.

And then you need the tools for installing those files to your LG Axis
You need to get a Java Development Kit and the Android SDK tools.
The versions that I used are here:
Axis_root_1.zip - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

You can get the latest versions here
JDK
Java SE Downloads

Android SDK Tools
Android SDK | Android Developers

Second, once we have the necessary files we need to install the Tool-kits on the computer.

1st install the Java Development Kit on the computer

2nd Install the Android Software Development Kit Tools
With the Android SDK Tools here are the install instructions that I copied from here:
What Is ADB And How To Install It With Android SDK
I saved it as a PDF which you can get here
Android_SDK_Tools_instructions.pdf - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

Third, we have to copy the rooting files to the phone.
(Make sure that your USB cord is plugged into the phone and you have the drivers loaded for your phone per the Android SDK tools instructions. I did not copy these files to the SD card I copied them to the phone itself and just unmounted the SD Card for the procedure. There are a couple of times where you ave to go in and unmount the SDcdard)

Unzip the Axis root.zip to a easy to get to directory such as c:\temp if the directory does not exist create it.
You go to start(windows orb) > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
Now we need to go to the directory where we unzipped the Axis root.zip files.
the command is:
cd \temp

Now to copy the files to the phone.
the commands are:
adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage
adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
adb push su /data/local/tmp/su

Fourth, we need to get root access on the phone so we can install Superuser app and set up the root
type in the command prompt window:
abd shell

Once in the adb shell $ prompt you type:
chmod 775 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage
/data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage /system/bin/sh

After the adb connection is reset you can log back into the phone shell with the commands:
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb shell

Fifth, now that we have root access which we can tell by having a # prompt we can copy the files over.

In the adb shell # prompt you need to enter the following commands:

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
cat /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk > /system/app/Superuser.apk
cat /data/local/tmp/su > /system/bin/su
chmod 06755 /system/bin/su
reboot

The first command is remounting the system directory so that we can write to it and the second and third commands are the actual copying of the files while the fourth command changes permissions on the su file so we can access it the fifth command reboots the phone. When it starts up you should have the Superuser app installed.

*** a couple of notes ***
I made sure that the SD card was unmounted for the whole procedure.

Once you have the files installed this whole procedure goes quick and you should be able to copy and paste the commands I have here into the command prompt window.

If there are any questions I cannot say that i will answer them but if I remember to check back on the forum here I will try my best.

Reactions: El Presidente
So I posted this as a reply to a post on another thread where someone was looking for 2.2 and custom ROMs for the Axis, but I thought I might as well post it here as well.....

Axis may be a "knock off" of the Ally, but the techniques for the Ally DO NOT work correctly for the Axis. I learned this the hard way. Attempted Trident's method to update to 2.2 and then to Velocity. BAD IDEA!!!! This not only bricked my phone, but it SUPERBRICKED my phone. The update worked to about 70% and then................

Nothing. Phone won't even turn on now. Tried several methods to get it to turn on, but the file system is officially FRIED. So, don't just assume that because one phone is a "knock off" of another that the same programs will work for both.

As far as rooting, I rooted the Axis VERY easily with Z4Root. Absolutely no problems, very easy, quick way to root and unroot. I also used the LONG method to root and it worked fine as well.

DON'T TRY TO USE THE ALLY METHOD OF UPDATING TO 2.2 ON AN AXIS!!!! YOU WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE IF YOU KEEP TRYING.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones