How To Root HTC Evo 4G 2.3.5

1. CattEVO

CattEVO New Member

Hello I'm New to This forum and I Was wondering if there was any way that i could root my EVO I've been doing a ton of research and all of the tuts don't work or they don't explain them well work since recently updating my software everyone says i won't be able to BUT my friend has the same firmware version and has z4root:cool:
    also please keep in mind that i'm a n00b (aka newbie:) and any help is good help:) -Thanks in advance
    (The reason i want to root is so i can get on XBL via Hotspot. is This possible?)

Advertisement
    :
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    here you go:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/488901-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html
    doughboy007 and Rxpert83 like this.
  3. CattEVO

CattEVO New Member

Thanks!
    ocnbrze likes this.
  4. ocnbrze

no worries. read the guide thoroughly first before trying it. also make sure to ask questions as well if you have them.
  5. aristoblis

aristoblis New Member

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. ocnbrze

no worries. let us know if you have any questions.
  7. cbohannon86

cbohannon86 New Member

so I am also new to the rooting idea and i have the evo 4g. I clicked on the gingerbread link and nothing showed up for me
  8. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

The thread specified is also available to view by navigating the all things root sticky and selecting the root method for your version of android
  9. swagin dragon

swagin dragon Member

someone please help i have been trying to root for 7 months and i still cant its literaly driving me insane iv managed to achive S-OFF
    HBOOT 6.16. 1002
    Radio-2.15.00.12.19 but thats it and everytime i ask for help i just get sent to another form im new to this so can some one please help me
    extra info :when i press the power button and volume down and press recovery a picture of my phone comes up and a triangle with a ! pleaseeeeee help
  10. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :) Guide

swagin dragon and Granite1 like this.
  11. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

Welcome to the forums!! :)

The hard part is done, you've achieved S-OFF. ;)

Do you have the Superuser App?

All you need for the recovery is to flash a custom recovery. You still have the stock recovery.

To get a custom recovery go here for Amon-Ra:
    PC36IMG_RA_2.3.zip

Take the recovery file and rename it to exactly PC36IMG ( don't add the .zip at the end because windows hides extensions ;) ) and place it on the root of your SD card.
    Boot to your hboot (white screen with Andy riding a skateboard) your phone will find the file and ask you to update, choose yes. let it do it's thing, then select no to reboot. scrool down and select recovery, it should say Amon-Ra 2.3 at the bottom. :)

Go here for the Superuser file:
    http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip

Take the Superuser file and rename it to exactly PC36IMG ( don't add the .zip at the end because windows hides extensions ;) ) and place it on the root of your SD card. Remember to remove the Recovery PC36IMG first, so you don't get mixed up. :)
    Boot to your hboot (white screen with Andy riding a skateboard) your phone will find the file and ask you to update, choose yes. let it do it's thing, then select no to reboot.

You should now be completely rooted!! :D

I will make a suggestion for you to read the rooting for dummies guide life after root section to be sure you understand what to do with full root access:
    http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html

If you have any questions or problems, just let us know. :)
    swagin dragon and dustwun77 like this.
  12. swagin dragon

swagin dragon Member

OMG thank you guys sooooo much for the help almost everything worked i did the Amon-Ra file and my phone found it and installed it but when i did the super user app my phone couldnt find it i changed the name and everything i feel like im finally soooo close thank you please get back to me
  13. parkerskouson

parkerskouson Well-Known Member

just put it on the root of the sd card(not in any folders) if that doesnt work try to drop it into any downloads forlder. did you download on the comp then put it on your phone or did you dload it straight from your phone?
    ocnbrze and swagin dragon like this.
  14. swagin dragon

swagin dragon Member

yeah i downloaded it from the computer and then renamed it and then put it on the root of my sd card it just didnt find it :(
  15. parkerskouson

ok. go to the market and look up superuser. install it. this may or may not work buts its worth the try =-] let me know what happens
    swagin dragon likes this.
  16. swagin dragon

swagin dragon Member

yeah that didnt work :/ but when i entered hboot a bunch of words come up and one of the words say wrong image if that helps
  17. parkerskouson

thats odd..... do you still have any of the pc36img.zips on your sd still? that might be the problem

can you see any files on your sd in recovery?
  18. swagin dragon

swagin dragon Member

yeah theres still some files on my sd card and no i dont think i have any pictures
  19. parkerskouson

ok. i want you to try to put the su file in a folder.
  20. parkerskouson

then look for it. if nothing else works hold off till tomorrow. cause i have to go to bed but if ocn shows up you will be in good hands:)
  21. swagin dragon

swagin dragon Member

okay i put it in my download folder and it still didnt come so i went into recovery and did install zip from sd card found superuser and it still wouldnt installn
    :/
  22. swagin dragon

swagin dragon Member

hahahah i understand man and it also says it cant open it when i try to flash it in recovery
  23. ocnbrze

are you extracting the file. if so do not leave it zipped. and also place it on the root of the card that means no folders, just on the card. and you do not name this file leave it as is and flash it in recovery.
  24. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

My bad guys, I linked the SU file thats flashed from recovery. :eek:

Redownload that file and place on the root of your SD card as is, don't change anything. Boot up into recovery, choose wipe / wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache. Go back to the main menu and select flash from SD / choose your SU file and select. Let it do it's thing, then reboot your phone. you should have SU in your app drawer now. :)
  25. swagin dragon

swagin dragon Member

OMG IT WORKED !!!!!!! Thank you guys so much i cant belive how long it took me and you guys did it just like that.you guys are amaing :) i can not thank you guys enough .
    ocnbrze and dustwun77 like this.