• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How To Root + Install Custom ROM + Backup + More

Sorry to be a bother, but like some one else here. I'm stuck at Titanium backup.
Things i have done:
(Checked that i was running 1.5, with the right build ----405.5.)
Ran instantRoot, no problem, everything was successful (it said anyway).

Downloaded Flashrec and Recovery-RA-Hero-v1.6.2.img. And placed them onto my SDcard (16gb SDHC class 6, if i'm not mistaken).

My first problem was when i tried to use flashrec, but after searching around the web, i found out that all i had to do was reboot my Hero (maybe that should be added to the guide? so that others don't have to be stuck there?).
So both Flash, and backup was successful.

Then i go on to the big bad wolf (Titanium Backup).
Installed it, and was told that i had not root access and something about a busybox (which was not mentioned in the guide, so i ignored it). so i uninstalled instantroot, downloaded it a second time. And installed again.
Then i got a message saying "root access already available".
Puzzled and confused i wandered back to titanium backup, and found a button called "Problems?". And since that was exactly what i was having, i clicked it.
It installed a newer version of busybox, and restarted titanium backup.
(I also ticked USB debugging)

Now on the overview it says :
Root access => OK (Busybox 1.15.3 from app)

So i head over to the tab in titanium backup that says: "Backup/Restore".
But here i only see "Country, language, time zone" and Wi-fi access points".

Are those all the back up points needed? I thought there should be something about your apps?

Any Ideas my good gentlemen? :)

P.S
Sorry for the bad English, i'm from Norway.

Upvote 0
@Epsilon
When you ran Titanium for the first time it should have come up with a pop-up advising to click Problems and install busybox before making a back-up.

Not sure why you are not seeing your apps under Backup/Restore, that is where they should be. I would suggest going to Menu > Filters and making sure you have All/All selected and Filter by name is blank. Then go to Menu > Batch and under 'Backup all user apps + system data' you should see a number totalling the number of apps you have installed.

Upvote 0
Darn it, i got an error when i hit the send button, this time i will copy everything before trying to send inn.
So okay, writing everything again:

Thanks for trying Bluenova :)
But sadly it mad no difference.

I do get the:

Busybox works but the "su" command does not elevate to root: "whoami" reports "whoami: applet not found" instead of root/uid 0. I think your "Superuser Whitelist" system app does not work. Please check with your ROM provide

Error message.
But both instant root, and titanium backup says that i do?

And is it true that if you try to install a custom rom without root access, you will brick your phone?

Upvote 0
For those running into Titanium problems with the 2.73.405.5 (146733 CL#61267 release keys ROM I also had these problems where you only get two items to backup and complaints about whoami returning the incorrect value.

I fixed mine by using this method of rooting the phone:
xda-developers - View Single Post - Rooting the HTC Hero/G2..(success)

Specifically it seems that the version of su supplied by the InstantRoot.apk doesn't like my ROM and also the Superuser Whitelist application was missing. I don't know the reasons for this or if I over complicated things but the longer adb method worked for me. Titanium no longer complains and created the back up fine.

Interestingly I was able to flash the recovery img to get the nandroid backup option with InstantRoot but I don't know if that was required or not.

Reactions: Epsilon
Upvote 0
Nope, roughly over the last few days I've done the following:

1) Installed InstantRoot
2) Installed Flashrec
3) Installed Titanium (but it complained about whoami)
4) Installed some other root requiring tool that seemed happy
5) Flashed Recovery-RA-Hero-v1.6.2.img
6) Nandroid backup
7) Alternative root method
8) Titanium now happy
9) Performed Titanium backup
10) Nandroid backup
11) Flashed to latest radio <-- just trying out the flashing process to settle my nerves! lol

HTH

Reactions: Epsilon
Upvote 0
It looks like a fantastic guide, the clearest I have seen yet... but I have a G2 and it will not root!

Tried the instant root, and tried the method on the Unlockr as well but neither worked.

I think I have to downgrade my ROM, but the Unlockr no longer has the link to where they link to downgrade the G2...

Is the way to do it now the Goldcard method? I have seen it... but when it gets into the area of having to do the goldcard then do everything else I stop understanding whats going on.. most of the steps I now understand and would be confident going forward on a normal Hero, but the G2 is just stopping me getting started..

any help greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Hello All,

Am trying to figure out the guide to follow to root my phone.

Firmware : 1.5

Kernel version : 2.6.27

Build # 2.73.720.5 146733 cl #16267 release keys

software ver : 1.0.0.A6288

am sorry to be pain, but can someone please let me know which guide to follow?? am a completely new to rooting phones.. aint technically challenged though. just new to smart phones. Thanks and appreciate your help :)

Upvote 0
I am trying the alternative method, but cannot copy the su file at step 6. It says that it is read only. How can I get round that?

That's probably because you've got the phone running normally rather than at the recovery prompt.

When the phone starts up fully the /system partition is mounted read only. By running the recovery image (which is where you can perform nandroid backups) you are not running any of the phones software and you can mount the phones partitions/directories read/write.

If you know linux its a bit like running single user mode (actually its not that at all but the effect is the same).

Upvote 0
Hi i'm on three uk network latest official rom on three uk which prevents me from rooting. I have done the gold card downgrade and get stuck on what i see is the most stupidist part.

The part where I'm stuck is when i insert my gold card and wait until htc syc is on and connected and goto install the 2.73.405.5 RUU rom.

The actual problem is this. I connected to HTC sync and so i fire ahead and install the 2.73.405.5 RUU but then it disconnects from htc sync and when 2.73.405.5 RUU is about too talk to my htc is can't find it.

Any ideas lads before i launch this out of the windows :)

thanks

Upvote 0
has any one got any ideas whats up at all as i asked this earlier on and no answers yet

Hi i'm on three uk network latest official rom on three uk which prevents me from rooting. I have done the gold card downgrade and get stuck on what i see is the most stupidist part.

The part where I'm stuck is when i insert my gold card and wait until htc syc is on and connected and goto install the 2.73.405.5 RUU rom.

The actual problem is this. I connected to HTC sync and so i fire ahead and install the 2.73.405.5 RUU but then it disconnects from htc sync and when 2.73.405.5 RUU is about too talk to my htc is can't find it.

Any ideas lads before i launch this out of the windows :)

Sorry for my impatience

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones