how to root korean galaxy s2

1. sktes2

sktes2 Member

hi guys,
    i have korean gs2 shw m250s , i need to root the phone can u please guide me in getting the correct firmware , i have visited the xda forum for korean phones but the replies where very vague i am a noob could not understand. can anyone help me
    thank you

Advertisement
    :
  2. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum sktes2 and thanks for joining.

You can root with the siyah kernel
    [KERNEL] SiyahKernel v2.6.12 - "One kernel to rule them all" (SAMMY&AOSP ROMs) - xda-developers

Download the kor.tar from the attached files. You will then need to flash that using Odin.

Instructions on flashing can be found here.
    [03.02.2012][CF-Root 5.2] K/EFGHIJKL*, KP1/2/4/8/A, LA2/4, LP1/2/6/B -su+bb+CWM4/5 - xda-developers

Don't use any of the kernels from the above link as they are not compatible. Just use it as a guide.
    sktes2 likes this.
  3. sktes2

sktes2 Member

Hi thanks for The suggestion , what is the diff between cf root and siyah kernel and after rooting the phone with siyah kernel I can start installing custom Roms?
    Sorry I am asking basic questions I gave gone through google I get confused with these terms
    Thank you
  4. Shotgun84

A cfroot kernel is basically a modified stock kernel which adds clockworkmod recovery, superuser and busy box, the three things you need to run a custom ROM.

Siyah kernel is a custom kernel which adds the three things cfroot does but also offers other features such as underclocking and overclocking your CPU with voltage control and custom boot animations.

So siyah is the better one as it offers more features and has better battery and performance (for me anyway). And yeah once you've installed siyah you're ready to flash roms.
    sktes2 likes this.
  5. sktes2

sktes2 Member

thanks very much for the reply,
    just one more doubt
    1. which version of siyah should i use .. latest
    2.so siyah is one for any gs2 irrespective of the kernel version?
    thank you
  6. Shotgun84

I would go for the latest so .12. If you have any problems with it I would work my way backwards until you find one that meets your needs, but the latest should be fine.

Yeah siyah will work regardless of your current kernel. Just make sure you use the kor.tar as the others are for different variants of the gs2.

I'm going to move this thread over to the all things root sub forum.
  7. maliiik

maliiik Member

hey guys, if i root and flash my rom is my phone still unlocked? (simfree?)
  8. Shotgun84

Yeah your phone will still be open to any network.
  9. iT0mm0

iT0mm0 Well-Known Member

not that im looking to unlock my phone as im happy on 3, but is the sgs2 open to use any network by default or would i need to go see a market trader to get it done ??

ive seen the cf unlocker on the market, might just run it too see
  10. Shotgun84

It all depends on where you purchased it. Some places will sell them unlocked, Sim free, others will be locked to a specific network.