[HOW TO] Root Motorola Atrix 4G & Enable Sideloading

1. evilbastard

evilbastard Well-Known Member

Yes I am sure if I am patient, someone will be successful where I was not. Guess I can live with it until then :)
  2. gzrecoil

gzrecoil Well-Known Member

Rooted with no problems on windows xp using this method.

Took about 15 minutes all said and done as I had to install .net framework.

One thing the tutorial doesn't say is to re-boot your pc after installing phone drivers, not sure if it would make a difference but I wasn't taking any chances.
  3. gzrecoil

gzrecoil Well-Known Member

Also, I disabled debug mode after I finished rooting.
  4. ChampionRC

ChampionRC New Member

Does rooting your device allow you to turn on the Hot Spot feature? every time I try it says it cannot as feature is not enabled on my account? Or is there some other way without rooting?

Thanks, also a droid noob coming from iPhone 3G 2.5yrs running.
    AP
  5. shalemail

shalemail Well-Known Member Contributor

This is from XDA - ALL credit to them I am an idiot. But you do NOT have to root to get tethering.

Here is a step by step:

Menu - Settings - Wireless & NetworksMobile Networks - Access Point Names - Menu - New APN, Enter these settings:

Name: AT&T
    APN: wap.cingular
    Proxy: leave blank
    Port: leave blank
    Username:WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password:CINGULAR1
    Server: leave blank
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    MMS Port: 80
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC:310
    MNC:410
    Authentication Type: leave blank
    APN Type: leave blank

Menu - Save, then select New APN (AT&T) You should see a green dot next to it, and it should be labeled under AT&T as wap.cingular. Go back to home screen and check internet connection is active. Once you verified internet is working, power off phone, then power on. Phone should still have active internet connection, if it does, you are done!

Here's the link.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=961217
  6. ChampionRC

ChampionRC New Member

Thanks, but isn't the hot spot a different feature than tethering? I was wanting a wireless hot spot to connect another laptop to.
  7. ChampionRC

ChampionRC New Member

Well interesting. I had tried that tether info hack earlier today and didn't see my wifi spot listed. Tried again, now I do. So I guess it is the same as a hot spot.

It is all good now.
  8. kpenning

kpenning Well-Known Member

You guys should throw support questions at the guide in the comments. There are so many forums it's hard to come back and check each one. But all of the forums have the same guide link! ;)

In other news, the tethering hack only worked when I changed the APN type to: "default" --> type out the word with no quotes. Hope this helps you guys!
  9. evilbastard

evilbastard Well-Known Member

So after AT&T merging with Cingular, re-branding to Cingular, then back to AT&T, the equipment on the network still refers to CINGULAR. Wonder if this will always be this way?
  10. silentecho13

silentecho13 Well-Known Member

Anyone here know how to get Mono working on OSX to root?
  11. HyperM3

HyperM3 Well-Known Member

Can the AT&T logo at the top of the notification bar be removed by rooting?
  12. BDDKKRJ

BDDKKRJ Member

Question: I've rooted and am getting ready to reboot. The instructions say:

Before rebooting, click
  13. HyperM3

Its like the 4th square to the right on the top of SuperOneClick.

[Root] [Shell Root] [Unroot] [Allow Non Market Apps] [Donate]
  14. BDDKKRJ

BDDKKRJ Member

ok. I see it. thanks. I had already disconnected USB so that I could reboot. Do I need to reverse the process and start over?
  15. HyperM3

Nope. Just hook the phone back up and click the allow... button.
    BDDKKRJ likes this.
  16. BDDKKRJ

BDDKKRJ Member

ok. thanks. its all good now. one click was hanging up and then I had turned off debugging. once i turned it back on, everything worked great. fun stuff.
  17. anirudh15891

anirudh15891 New Member

i have rooted my atrix .. and i got titanium.. now what can i do with my rooted atrix????
  18. Enygmu

Enygmu New Member

So i have installed all the drivers and followed the instructions. I have set all the settings on the phone correctly and verified all drivers are installed correctly.

I run superoneclick and click the Shell Root button..it starts and freezes at waiting for device. Sits there forever. When you click on it, it crashes.

I have attempted this on two computers, both running Windows 7 ultimate.

Any suggestions?
  19. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye VIP Member

Nice, simple and covers rooting exactly and is why I made it sticky.

Note to mods/guids,
    please leave as sticky and PM me if you want to unstick
  20. iali76

iali76 New Member

thanks, i just rooted my atrix 4g and installed titanium backup with su rights..What's next..How do I remove all bloatwares from the device?
  21. HyperM3

You could remove the bloatware without even being rooted. Just go to applications and uninstall whatever you want.
  22. kriedel858

kriedel858 New Member

I started to download this software, but got a warning saying the download was reported as unsafe and that the website contains viruses. ???
  23. Revs9k01

Revs9k01 Active Member

Can someone run a speedtest before and after rooting? I am curious to see the differences from a virgin Atrix compared to a rooted one.
  24. b1aze

b1aze Member

Has rooting proven to be reversible? I would hate to brick my phone and not be able to restore to factory settings the first day i get it.

Is this covered by TiB?
  25. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, hope you're enjoying your Atrix. Looks like a sweet phone, but I have one question that I'm not sure you guys can answer just yet. Has it been discovered if the Atrix has the same military lockdown on the bootloader as my Droid X has? We have been able to create several ROMs dispite the locked bootloader, but it sure would be awesome if the kernel was replaceable.

Have they gotten that far with the Atrix yet? Do they know whether or not they'll be able to replace the kernel? Or is it too early to tell?

Thanks in advance for your response.