1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

How to root stock 2.2.2

1. Hello community I've been trying to get root access for my VM samsung intercept. I was going through many threads but they all seem confusing and non permanent. can someone please point me in the right direction to where I can find the easiest way to root?

samsung updated via VM 2.2.2

thank you

Advertisement
  2. EdAndInn

EdAndInn Well-Known Member

:D

A lot of people on this forum advise that one need to install Custom Kernel first and then Custom Recovery (because if you install CM01 Custom Recovery on Stock Kernel then Stock Kernel tries to override CM01 Custom Recovery with Stock Recovery).

There are several methods to gain root. Depends on what kind of Root you want.

If you simple want temporary root then use ADB Tool Manual Method for temporary Root.

[GUIDE] - How to use ADB Tool Manual method for getting Temporary Root

If you want permanent root without installing rooted Kernel/rooted ROM then use this guide:

[GUIDE] - How to gain permanent root using ADB Tool - Without Rooted Kernel/ROM

If you want permanent root with rooted Kernel/rooted ROM then use this guide:

[GUIDE] - Install Custom Kernel using ADB Tool Manual Method - flash_image

Then install CM01 Custom Recovery on Custom rooted Kernel:

[GUIDE] - How to Install CM01 Custom Recovery using Manual ADB Tool Method

I personally did in the following order:

First install CM01 Custom Recovery on Stock Kernel.

One can install CM01 Custom Recovery on your Samsung Intercept using SWUpgrade Tool Method:

[GUIDE] - Install CM01 Custom Recovery using SWUpgrade Tool

or

One can also use ADB Tool Manual Method to install CM01 Custom Recovery:

[GUIDE] - How to Install CM01 Custom Recovery using Manual ADB Tool Method

I personally used ADB Tool Manual method as I felt that it is less risky, simple and straightforward method.

Then install Custom Kernel using CM01 Custom Recovery:

[GUIDE] - How to install Custom Kernel/ROM on your Intercept using CM01 Recovery

One can also install rooted Custom Kernel using ADB Tool and flash_image:

[GUIDE] - Install Custom Kernel using ADB Tool Manual Method - flash_image

However, now I agree with the approach of applying rooted Custom Kernel first and then applying CM01 Custom Recovery.

:D
  3. dudleesmuk

dudleesmuk Well-Known Member

where do u get the driver for the vm intercept? i went to samsung.com but only sprint driver there and my pc dont regocnize the device if usb debugg is checked. wtf am i doing wrong?
  4. dudleesmuk

i got my vm intercept to connect downloaded root. when tried to move files to root folder phone said unable to move due to system settings. what do i need to change to allow to move files from sd to phone.
  5. lightsout32

lightsout32 New Member

Is there a way to root the vm intercept 2.2
    2 without using any computer at all?
  6. EdAndInn

EdAndInn Well-Known Member

7. JuanCharlie

JuanCharlie New Member

Something strange happened just now that may hold a key for some. Not sure how to explain this yet but the cable started working when the plastic cover around the jack fell off. Unplugged it, reassembled it, and plugged it back in "USB device not recognized". Unplugged it and pulled the cover back off (the two small pieces of black plastic that you grab when you're plugging the USB cable in your phone), plugged it back in and it recognizes my phone.

Now I see no obvious reason why this would be. Maybe in some of these cables the wires are too close with the cover on and a short exists that we don't notice. It still charges but Windows 7 doesn't like it.

Whatever the case (no pun intended), looks like I'm going to revisit rooting my phone, if for no other reason than to see what it will run. Rooted my 2.1 VM Intercept before and the 2.2 OTA update bricked it because I left the custom kernel on it. Yeah I know. Oooops.

Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept with Android 2.2.2
    Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
    Devices and Drivers say:
    Android ADB Interface Driver Date 8/11/2009 Version 2.0.10.2
    Android UMS Composite USB Device Driver Date 6/21/2006 Version 6.1.7600.16385
    Not sure where these drivers came from at this point. I tried rooting that 2.1 phone several times in Jan with the USB cable working then not working then working then not, going through each of the methods. Finally z4root worked. Wish that still worked on 2.2.2. Gonna have to look into what's behind that method.
  8. JuanCharlie

JuanCharlie New Member

Wait... forget the usb cable. Looking for an updated version of a local root exploit for Android 2.2.2 (while doing this tutorial [GUIDE] - How to use ADB Tool Manual method for getting Temporary Root)...... I stumbled across something that works way more better :)

http://forum.sdx-developers.com/index.php?topic=15586.msg194417#msg194417

You download the apk at http://intercept-root.googlecode.com/files/InterceptRootV1-3.apk. You install it. I ran it. Clicked permanent root. It rebooted. Now when I go in terminal emulator and type su it goes from $ prompt to # prompt with no problem. i.e. It's rooted.

Question is... now what?

That apk also provides an option to install custom recovery. Haven't done that yet.
  9. dudleesmuk

there is now an apk file u can download that will root the vm intercept then u can install cm01 recovery ( it comes in the apk file). then i downloaded the latest version of crapkernel. its working flawlessly. i will post a link to apk asap.
    Intercept Root Apk and Recovery
    flasher
    http:/ /forum .sdx -developers . com/
    index.php? topic =15586 .msg194417 #
    msg194417
    also u can google vm intercept apk root
    its awsome ty to the devs.
    this method requires no PC.
    I had same problem as every one else wit USB cable before. i bought a 24 dollar gigawire and got nowhere. with this it took 3 minutes.