• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HOW-TO: Root the MetroPCS L9 (LGMS769)

isaacj87

Android Expert
Dec 17, 2010
Dallas, TX
github.com
First off, let me preface this by saying there shouldn't be any difference between the Metro L9 or T-Mo's L9. If you have Metro's version, you can see on the bottom of the box that it actually says TMUS P769. The only difference is varying stock ROMs. Technically, you can use this guide on the T-Mo branded P769, but only if you want to run the Metro V10B version of the stock ROM (4.1.2). I recommend only Metro users follow this guide, but it's your choice.

Second, rooting or unlocking this phone is not easy. There's really no way around it. It isn't difficult if you understand the process. Unfortunately, a lot of the rooting/unlocking BL information is spread across many places. I will try my best to condense the information. FWIW, this is how I rooted the phone. I can confirm this method worked for me. The following will only root the phone.

USUAL DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES (BRICK, UNWANTED SIDE-EFFECTS). YOU ARE DOING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Generally speaking, this is the process we're doing when we root. We take LG flashing tools to flash the stock ROM (in KDZ format). While the flashing process takes place, all the files need to be unpacked before the flashing can take place. As the files are being unpacked (BINs), we're swapping one out with a modified version that allows the root.

First things first, we need the appropriate programs and files in order to do this process. We will need these things:

Getting Everything Ready

On your phone, go into Settings -> Developer and enable USB debugging. Then, go to Settings -> PC Connection and choose LG Software mode. Now, plug the phone into your computer.

Click the link to the root package. There are 2 zips inside the root package (RootLelusICS and RootLelusJB). Extract all folders from these zips. Once extracted, you should have 4 folders total (RootFlash, RootLelusICS, shttps, and RootLelusJB). Take these folders and put them in your C: drive. They have to be in the root folder of the C: drive. This is important. If they're not in the right spot, nothing will work!

Now, go ahead and download the USB drivers and text file. Go ahead and install the USB drivers, and open up the text file. The text will give the proper folder locations and the right info in order for the whole process to work. It's your choice if you want to use the text file. I will putting the same info in this guide.

Download everything else and put the files where you'll remember them.

Now, look in the RootFlash folder. You will need to run 2 programs:

• B2CAppSetup.exe
  • msxml.msi

Allow both of these to install. Once they're finished, go ahead an close them.

Now, we need to prepare shttps. This program allows the LG flashing tool to work offline. We accomplish this by modifying our hosts file to redirect network traffic and spoof the program.

Open up Notepad as administrator (right click and choose Run as Administrator). When Notepad opens click File -> Open and copy/paste the following in the "Open Box"

Code:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
Look for the hosts file. If you see nothing, make sure to enable the option to see all files. Once it's opened, copy and paste the following into the file:

Code:
##Host Change
127.0.0.1 csmg.lgmobile.com
127.0.0.1 csmgdl.lgmobile.com
Save the file, and close it. You will need to restart your PC at this point.

Now, go back the shttps folder (we put it in the C: drive), and right-click https.exe. Click Properties. Look for "Windows Compatibility Mode" and make sure it's set to Windows XP SP3. (NOTE: this only needs to be done if you're running Win7/8)

Now, right-click https.exe again, and run it as administrator. Once it's running, minimize the program. Do not close it.

Now, go into the RootLelusJB folder (we put it in the C: drive). Run the rootL9 program. Now we should be ready to flash.

Flashing Magic

Go into the RootFlash folder (we put it in the C: drive). Look for UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe . Right-click it, go into properties and do the same thing you did for https.exe. Now, go ahead and run UpTestEX_mod2_marwin.exe as administrator.

When the program opens, ensure the "Type of Flash" is "3GQCT". Make sure the "PhoneMode" is "DIAG". Go ahead and select the stock KDZ that you downloaded. Then, go ahead and click "NORMAL WEB UPGRADE TEST" near the bottom of the window. Follow the prompts and choose your preferred language.

Move the flashing window out of your way. Open up a folder window and copy/paste the following location:

Code:
C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone
When the flashing process reaches 8% progress, go ahead and go into the folder (you know the install is unpacking files when the text turns red). You'll start seeing BIN files start appearing in that folder. The files should look something like this:

Code:
LGMS769_AP[number here].bin
When you see LGMS769_AP[11].bin appear, copy/paste the modified BIN you downloaded at the top of this guide. Make sure it replaces the original file. Time is somewhat a factor, but you shouldn't need to rush. Just make sure that it gets overtaken.

Special NOTE: Some users (WinXP) will need to use the following folder location instead of the one listed above. All steps are the same, however, you will need to be in this folder location to see the BIN files:

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LGMOBILEAX\Phone

After the flashing is complete, you should have a rooted L9. Enjoy!

Ending NOTE: If I missed something, please tell me. I will correct the guide. I haven't decided if I'm going to write an unlocking BL guide (as there's a solid video tutorial out there), but will consider it if people are looking for it.

Credits for files:
  • Lelus @ XDA for root guide package
  • kuma82 @ XDA for modified BIN
  • carloswii5 @ XDA for all other files

Isaacj87, good deal making this tut.. I'm in the process of making a tut for unlocking the bootloader. I'm writing exactly what I did to unlock on the metro L9.. Haven't had a whole lot of time to work on it lately..

Cool, man. If you want, you can take whatever you need out of this guide for your BL guide. I found the process was pretty much the same other than the unlocking command and flashing a new ROM.

Upvote 0
hey isaac, just wanted to say thank you for taking the time out to write the guide.

i followed your process exactly, and i believe that the process was successful, but i'm not entirely sure how to check if my phone is actually rooted or not. i tried to run super SU after your process but i'm getting an error stating:

"There is no SU binary installed and SuperSU cannot install it"

which leads me to believe that something went awry.

Should I attempt the process again from the beginning or is there another way to fix my root?

Thank you!

edit:
for anyone else having trouble with this method, there is another method at:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2173465
which seems like is similar but slightly different. i will be attempting this xda method later this week.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I had to write the guide under the assumption that the user to figure out the little things if necessary. There's just too much information.

@hamhamt: There really isn't any harm in running through the process again. If you're receiving the error, my guess is when you ran the rootL9 script, it didn't send correctly. The SU binary never made it to your phone. My suggestion is run through the process again. When running rootL9, make sure you see ADB send over the files correctly.

Upvote 0
Code:
C:\ProgramData\LGMOBILEAX\Phone
When the flashing process reaches 8% progress, go ahead and go into the folder (you know the install is unpacking files when the text turns red). You'll start seeing BIN files start appearing in that folder. The files should look something like this:

Code:
LGMS769_AP[number here].bin
When you see LGMS769_AP[11].bin appear, copy/paste the modified BIN you downloaded at the top of this guide. Make sure it replaces the original file. Time is somewhat a factor, but you shouldn't need to rush. Just make sure that it gets overtaken
Sorry, I'm new to this. I can't find this location in windows xp. i tried finding any folder similar in name and was unsuccessful. the update program completed the install and my phone restarted. am i missing something?

Upvote 0
Sorry, I'm new to this. I can't find this location in windows xp. i tried finding any folder similar in name and was unsuccessful. the update program completed the install and my phone restarted. am i missing something?

My mistake; this is something I left out of the guide. For your WinXP users, the folder location might be here:

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LGMOBILEAX\Phone

Please try that location, and see if that works for you.

Upvote 0
Excellent guide. Worked well. Only trouble I had was LG tools crashed on me while replacing the modified .bin during software upgrade.

For anybody else who have yet to do this, if this happens to you, don't unplug the phone! Just let it be, restart the LG update tool and start it again. I'm not sure if unplugging it would cause any bricking, but I would think it does.

Upvote 0
I can't download the RootLelusICS.zip because my computer is detecting a virus in it. The modified bin file is also "temporarily unavailable".

I've spent countless hours already looking for a Metro PCS Optimus L9 root method and everything I find just has me running all over. I have faith in this one but I can't even get all the files... Could you email them to me? All I need is the ability to move apps to the SD card because the internal memory on this phone is so awful. Why they didn't make that an option when developing the phone beats the hell out of me. Please help me out here, I'm getting beyond frustrated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones