• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [HOW-TO] Root the Motorola Cliq [ANY BOOTLOADER]

Download these three files and put them in the root of your sdcard.(you must have adb on your computer)

File 1 : Download (rename to "update.zip")
File 2 : Download
File 3 : Download(Handler 1.5)

Step 1 : Boot into stock recovery(Camera+Power then select down)(press Alt + L to see options)and flash file one.
Step 2 : Load up adb when the computer recognizes it type :

adb shell flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
Step 3: Pull the battery and then reinsert it and go into your new custom recovery.(Camera+Power)
Step 4: Wipe and then flash the second update.

BIG THANKS TO DUXMAN

Original Thread

hey i was rooting my moto cliq your way and everything was
going smoot but then when i when i go to command prompt
and write that it doesnt do anything on my phone it says
something about usage and partitioning so i never get passed
that! please i really need help!

can you be more specific? what EXACTLY does it say in terminal? also, check for the obvious first, make sure the recovery file is named "recovery.img) and that it is on the ROOT of your sd card (not in any folders or subfolders, just click and drag onto SD card)....if this is obvious to you, please do not take offense, but you always have to rule out the most simple solutions first........once these things are done and it still doesnt work, please let us know exactly, in quotes, what it says in terminal once you type in that command, so we can better help you.

Upvote 0
Honestly i dont understand any of this shii How do i root my moto cliq in the simplest way... like how do i know if the adb is on my computer?

there arent multiple ways of doing it, this is how you do it, tis is how everyone does it. you have to be patient and willing to follow instructions carefully or you will mess it up.

after you install SDK drivers and adb, or you think you have, plug your phone into your computer's USB. do not turn on the USB drive on your phone, just plug it in and put it down. open the command prompt on your computer and type in the following commands:

cd\ [press enter]
cd AndroidSDK\tools\ [press enter]
adb devices [press enter]

wait a few seconds and your phone's serial number should appear, which signifies that ADB is successfuly picking up your phone. if it does not appear then something did not go right in installation and setup. just follow the instructions. if you are having trouble with the driver instructions on this guide then you can try this tutuorial:
How To: Root the Motorola CLIQ (Updated 04.09.10) | TheUnlockr
it has videos to go along with each step

Upvote 0
hey ive been repeating this process over and over, but i cant seem to get past the 3rd step. my recovery.img is not flashing (i think). it always takes me to the triangle and exclamation screen. any ideas. does it have something to do with my adb shell command? my inputs are:
cd\
cd AndroidSDK\tools\
adb shell
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
usage: flash_image partition file.img

Upvote 0
hey ive been repeating this process over and over, but i cant seem to get past the 3rd step. my recovery.img is not flashing (i think). it always takes me to the triangle and exclamation screen. any ideas. does it have something to do with my adb shell command? my inputs are:
cd\
cd AndroidSDK\tools\
adb shell
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
usage: flash_image partition file.img

make sure the recovery image you are trying to flash is actually named "recovery.img" the name of the file and the name you type in ADB have to match exactly

Upvote 0
OK, I have no idea how to do that. What is the second update and how do I flash it? I really appreciate this guide and I don't mean to be obtuse. If the answer to my question is obvious then I apologize.

I believe I have gotten through the other steps. I am just waiting on this one now.

the second update is file#3, the actualy ROM. you flash it from the recovery. once the .zip is on the root of your sd card, go to recovery, and there will be a "flash" option. select that and then select handlers ROM

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones