• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to Root Your Boost HTC One SV (Mac OS)

What stage of the rooting process was the hardest?

• Unlocking the Bootloader

• Installing the Android SDK scripts (adb & fastboot)

• Flashing the TWRP recovery image to my phone's recovery partition

• Getting the supersu recovery build onto the root of my phone's SD card

• Figuring out which version of what I needed!

• Using the Command Line Interface on my computer

Results are only viewable after voting.
I put these notes together for my own understanding as I went through the process of rooting my Boost HTC One SV (K2_CL). I subsequently discovered this thread (by @EarlyMon), which is a resource I wish had shown up in the search results before I went through the process. I'm leaving this thread up in case others have difficulty — like I did — finding comprehensive instruction on how to root an Android from a Mac CLI Terminal.

*******************************************************************************************
The process for gaining root access to HTC One SV (aka K2_CL):

1. You'll need to unlock your phone's bootloader. This is a process in and of itself.

2. Once your phone is unlocked, you can flash a custom recovery image to the recovery partition of your phone. I recommend using TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP).

3. Once you've successfully put your phone into "recovery mode," you'll have the option of using TWRP to install SuperSU — an access management tool that gives you superuser (i.e., root) access — or a custom rooted ROM.

** It probably goes without saying, but you should have a full backup of your phone's data and apps before tampering with any of the current set-up.​

*******************************************************************************************
Step One: Download Requisite Files
You’ll need to download a few things, so let's get that over with upfront.
  • Download the Android mini-SDK
    You'll need two Android Software Development Kit (SDK) utilities: adb & fastboot to connect to your device via your Command Line Interface (CLI). I recommend reading up on the capabilities of these tools, as they're super useful for exploring and interfacing with your Android file system.
  • Download a recovery image
    You'll need to download a custom recovery image to flash to your phone's recovery partition and kick it into "recovery mode" after you unlock it. TeamWin Recovery Project has a huge number of recovery images to choose from. Go to their site and find the right recovery image for your phone.
**Two things to keep in mind as you're looking for a recovery image:​
    1. Your phone is like a mini computer. It has an operating system. We need to pass it information [about "recovery"] in a way that it will recognize. So pay attention to how old the recovery image is you're using. If you — like me — are running Android 4.2.2, you'll need a TWRP version that's at least 2.8.
    2. Remember that this is more than a mini computer. Your phone has to connect to radio signals for your mobile service provider in order to be a functioning phone. So the recovery image has to match your particular carrier's version of your phone. The most helpful thing is to do some research and figure out what board your device comes with. For example, the Boost Mobile HTC One SV for the U.S. is the K2_CL.

• Download the SuperSU installer (or a rooted ROM)
    You'll need to download either the Chainfire's SuperSU installer or a custom rooted ROM to install after you unlock your phone and boot it into "recovery" mode. This is what will give you superuser (i.e., root) access.
Step Two: Organize Your Stuff So Your Computer Can Find Everything
Okay, so you've downloaded the mini-SDK, the TWRP custom recovery image, and the SuperSU installer.
  • For ease of instruction, I'd recommend 1) creating a folder on your desktop called "root," and putting everything in that folder so your computer can find it; 2) naming the TWRP recovery image "recovery.img"; and 3) naming the SuperSU installer "supersu.zip."
  • Unzip the Android.zip (the mini-SDK) and make sure the contents go in the "root" folder.
  • You’ll need to copy the supersu.zip file onto the root of your phone’s SD card. You can do this with HTC Sync (which, imo, sucks) or you can use your phone's internet browser to navigate to the site and download the file directly onto your phone. Leave it zipped up in the Downloads folder for now.
Step Three: Install the Android mini-SDK
You'll need to open a Terminal window (or whatever CLI you prefer). If you've never worked with your CLI, I highly recommend taking a free and easy Command Line Crash Course offered by Zed Shaw.

1. Open a Terminal window and navigate to the "root" folder you created on your desktop:
    cd ~/Desktop/root/
  2. Run the script @EarlyMon included in the zip by simply typing:
    sh sdk.sh
  3. Move the adb and fastboot utilities to your computer's root directory (you'll be asked to enter your computer's password):
    sudo mv ~/Desktop/root/fastboot /usr/bin
    sudo mv ~/Desktop/root/adb /usr/bin

Step Four: Unlock Bootloader
This is what unlocks the phone so that you can flash a recovery image to it (normally this would need to be done by your mobile provider). Heads up, this part can take *a while* but it will work if you stick with it.

You'll need to go to the HTC Developer site and register as a developer. Once you've registered and confirmed your account, go to the Unlock Bootloader page and select the appropriate Bootloader Unlock from the device dropdown (chances are, you are: "All Other Supported Models"). HTC will need a unique identifier token for your phone. Plug into the USB port of your computer (make sure "USB Debugging" is selected on your phone), and type the following into your Terminal window:
fastboot oem get_identifier_token

Copy the entire output string <<INCLUDING START/END TAGS>> (use alt+cmd to omit the leading line headers) and paste it into HTC's page in the panel prompting for "my device token." HTC will email you an unlock code. Download it, and then enter the following into your Terminal window to copy the code to your "root" folder, and then install the code on your system:
cp ~/Downloads/Unlock_code.bin ~/Desktop/root
sudo mv ~/Downloads/Unlock_code.bin /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/etc

Enter the following into your Terminal window to flash the unlock code to your phone:
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin

Your phone will prompt for confirmation of the unlock. Go ahead and confirm.

Step Five: Flash the Custom Recovery Image to Your Phone
Now that your phone is unlocked, you can flash the TWRP recovery image to your phone. Start by putting your phone in Fastboot mode:
adb reboot bootloader

Notice that at the top of your phone screen it now says "Tampered/Unlocked." This means that you've successfully unlocked the bootloader.

Enter the following to flash the TWRP recovery image to the recovery partition of your phone:
cd ~/Desktop/root
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

After it finishes, reboot the bootloader in Fastboot mode:
fastboot reboot-bootloader

With the volume buttons, first select Bootloader and then select Recovery. Your phone will go to the white HTC screen and say "Entering Recovery" for a few seconds. This should only take a few seconds, and then you'll see the TEAMWIN logo. If it hangs up, you probably flashed a recovery image that is too old for your phone.

Step Six: Install SuperSU

From the TWRP menu, you can select Install and navigate to the SuperSU.zip file you put on your phone's SD card (it's probably in the Download folder). Swipe to confirm you want to install SuperSU. After the install is complete, reboot the system.

If done right, your phone will now be rooted. However, just because you've rooted your phone doesn't mean it can do all the awesome things you probably want it to do. But now that you have superuser (i.e., root) access, you can install any custom/modded ROM you want and all the cool rooted-only apps out there. Start owning your phone!

Last edited:
I am very happy that you got that done and appreciate the work! :)

If I may -

SuperSU.zip is not a recovery image or recovery build.

It's an "SU installer" only to be flashed from recovery.

(If chainfire called it that, he was using slang, as in "an image that you flash in recovery." If you unzip it you'll see why the way I suggest is proper.)

Also, there are a number of steps that would make this easier for you, perhaps this will help -

http://androidforums.com/threads/how-to-get-full-root-on-a-mac.572162/

The only changes required would be to point to the TWRP for this device, and optionally, if using the Mini-SDK installer, you can substitute -

./fastboot

Where I have said

./fastboot-mac

However both forms work.

Also, if you have only one TWRP in the sdk-tools folder per those instructions, you can say -

./fastboot flash recovery open(tab-key)

To save typing because pressing the (tab-key) will complete the name.

Check it out, hope this helps, sorry I wasn't around to help. :)

I especially liked the clarity you have over the token copy. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: frosthax1
Upvote 0
I am very happy that you got that done and appreciate the work! :)

If I may -

SuperSU.zip is not a recovery image or recovery build.

It's an "SU installer" only to be flashed from recovery.

(If chainfire called it that, he was using slang, as in "an image that you flash in recovery." If you unzip it you'll see why the way I suggest is proper.)

Also, there are a number of steps that would make this easier for you, perhaps this will help -

http://androidforums.com/threads/how-to-get-full-root-on-a-mac.572162/

The only changes required would be to point to the TWRP for this device, and optionally, if using the Mini-SDK installer, you can substitute -

./fastboot

Where I have said

./fastboot-mac

However both forms work.

Also, if you have only one TWRP in the sdk-tools folder per those instructions, you can say -

./fastboot flash recovery open(tab-key)

To save typing because pressing the (tab-key) will complete the name.

Check it out, hope this helps, sorry I wasn't around to help. :)

I especially liked the clarity you have over the token copy. :)

This is what I get for cobbling together an understanding :/
Thanks for the input! I'll update the posting so it doesn't cause any confusion.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones