• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [HOW TO] Root Your Incredible, Whatever It's Status

you need to run the toolkit after putting your phone in debugging mode:

settings > applications > development > make sure usb debugging is checked.

then plug phone in computer and run that toolkit. you may or may not also have to update the drivers before doing this. op made it a point to mention that for people who are running 2.1, but didn't mention it for 2.2. not sure if that was an oversight or purposeful. in any event, installing the drivers won't hurt, and i can confirm this works with the drivers installed.

Upvote 0
If u have kernel 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16 you can't root ur phone with the above methods. The update prevents it, at least as far as i know. Do a search for "root kernel 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16" and you will find info about it. also see, http://www.incredibleforum.com/foru...-issue-rooting-kernel-2-6-32-17-g9a2fc16.html

figured this out cuz i tried rooting mine, had problems, and found out i couldn't because of this kernel. Hopefully the computer geeks will find a way around this kernel but have learned to live with not rooting it and dealing with pre-installed verizon apps.

Anybody know if there is a root solution to the latest software / kernel updates?

Upvote 0
If u have kernel 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16 you can't root ur phone with the above methods. The update prevents it, at least as far as i know. Do a search for "root kernel 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16" and you will find info about it. also see, issue rooting on kernel 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16

figured this out cuz i tried rooting mine, had problems, and found out i couldn't because of this kernel. Hopefully the computer geeks will find a way around this kernel but have learned to live with not rooting it and dealing with pre-installed verizon apps.

Anybody know if there is a root solution to the latest software / kernel updates?

That's no longer the case. The new Unrevoked roots the OTA update.

Reactions: dsb9938
Upvote 0
If u have kernel 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16 you can't root ur phone with the above methods. The update prevents it, at least as far as i know. Do a search for "root kernel 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16" and you will find info about it. also see, issue rooting on kernel 2.6.32.17-g9a2fc16

I just rooted mine and it has the kernel you mentioned. I'm not able to use Reboot apps but have not tried others. Have I screwed the phone up or can we still get it fixed when an update to the root comes? When I go to the App drawer it has Super User in there but I guess that don't mean anything huh? Edit: I'm on the Nov OTA even though the Unrevoked 3 Root says it's compatible. I can't use Titanium either.

Upvote 0
Bump Bump

Can anyone help.. it acts like I have Super User but no Root access.

I think for newbs like myself Jon Suh's step by step is the easiest I've found. Unrevoked root works for the updated kernel.

[FONT=&quot]Root Your Droid Incredible! (AMOLED & SLCD) | JonSuh.com

Just check to see if you screen is AMOLED or SLCD.

[/FONT] If you go into settings-> about phone-> hardware information->
hardware version 0002 is AMOLED
hardware version 0003 is SLCD

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones