• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to save chat logs with AIM/Skype etc on Android? OR: a way to copy/screenshot the entire convo?

viahiptop

Lurker
Apr 9, 2011
So, last night I had a long conversation with someone over the AIM application for Android and the conversation is still open and I need to be able to save it somehow. I know that I can save chat logs with AIM for my PC but I don't see this option available for the Android version. Is there a way to do this? And if not, is there a way to copy the entire conversation so I can paste it into an e-mail or something to save it? And if there's no way to copy the text, is there a way to take a screenshot of the entire conversation and save it as an image instead? (last resort)

My phone is a Sidekick 4G and I'm using AIM version 1.10.11.1

So far I've:

• Tried to long press the text in the conversation to highlight/select it and copy it but nothing happens and there's no option for any of the text to be selected or copied
  • Downloaded the "Copy Paste It" app which copies text from any screen; this works BUT it only allows me to copy the text that's in the section of the conversation I'm currently viewing, i.e. about 7 or 8 lines of the convo out of 500+ lines. I haven't found a way to scroll down the IM window to copy the rest of the IMs and I really don't want to have to copy the entire thing one section at a time in 70+ tiny pieces.
  • Downloaded the "Screen Capture Shortcut" app -- very similar problem. It works, but it only captures the section of the conversation that I'm currently viewing and not the entire window. Again, haven't found a way to get it to scroll down the IM window to capture the rest of the conversation and I don't want to have to take a zillion screen captures piece by piece in order to get the whole conversation saved.
  • Spent an hour googling this problem and have found no solutions.

So, could anyone help? I've spent most of my afternoon on this and it's driving me absolutely crazy. You'd think something as simple as saving or copying an IM convo on a smartphone wouldn't be so ridiculously difficult...

And, for future reference, do any of the alternate AIM apps for Android offer the ability to save chat logs and/or highlight and copy the text from conversations? Same question goes for Skype, MSN etc since I use those IM clients as well and as far as I can tell they all have this same issue...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Reactions: ipersian

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones