1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

How to save contacts in SIM card

Last Updated:

1. Azad

Azad Member This Topic's Starter

Is there anyone who can tell me how to save contacts in my SIM card in my G1. I could not do it. Even I can't save the contacts from the Call Log menu. This kind of basic features are useful but I could not find it. Please help me out. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Gfunk

Gfunk Member

why is there no option to save to Sim?

3. Azad

Hi there, No I could not find how to save the contacts in SIM Card. DO you know please let me know how to do it. Thnx

4. MzBlack

MzBlack Well-Known Member

Id like to know also, if you find out :)

5. Azad

Still I could not find and no one answers our question. If you konw/find it out please let me inform. Thnx

6. Smurph

Smurph Member

when you guys find out. drop me a line por favor

7. vincewchan

vincewchan Member

Call 611 (if your a tmobile user) and ask

8. shoes

shoes Active Member

Wondering the same. Not a t-Mobile user, so pls let me know

9. markinct

markinct Well-Known Member

Your contacts are synched with Google and they are maintained on Google's server. So if you can't get to wi-fi or cell network, you can't get to your contacts.

FWIW, you can "EXPORT" your contacts within Google...

10. Azad

Yes, we have marked it that the contacts are synchronized with Google. However, we asked how to save contacts in SIM card. We can import contacts from SIM card in the hard disk of the G1 but we cannot save the contacts back in SIM card instead. If any of you know how to save it please let us know.

11. miss21

miss21 New Member

when you go to your call log, if you keep your finger on the number you want to save in your contacts a menu will pop up!

12. mikeeh

mikeeh Well-Known Member

was wonderin about this too when I exported my contacts from the sim card.
    talked to a local Tmo rep and they told me that the G1 can't save contacts to the sim. I was a bit disappointed since in an event that I need to port "new" contacts I have from gmail then to the G1 then to maybe another phone within Tmo.

13. Azad

Sorry, I could not see any SAVE option menu is coming in the pop up list! I think 'mikeeh' is correct there is no such option in G1 to save contacts in SIM. Very much disappointing for G1 users. However, is it not possible to pass this info to official Android developers to update the firmware version so that we can have the option. Please try other members to pass through this petition to GOOGLE..

14. foxahmed

foxahmed Member

So should some do a petition page with what we want with G1 users votes?

15. Canis Firebrand

Canis Firebrand New Member

How do you do the reverse? I have a number of contacts that somehow got stored on my Sim card, I cannot figure out how to delete them.

16. Michael_old

Michael_old New Member

As it says on the T-mobile forum there is no way to save contacts from an android phone to your sim card. They go on to say that you can import contacts from your sim to the phone, but that absolutely does not help any one in this forum.

I called T-mobile yesterday (first time in a year) and was transferred multiple times trying to fix the problem.

None of there "tech's" even knew that all of the Android contacts exist in the Cloud and that if we are unable to reach the Cloud, that we cannot make calls from our phone unless it is from a number we have memorized.

The knowledge of these "tech" guys about their products is sketchy at best. T-mobile was (like usual) absolutely of no help.

Unfotunately, the only way I can think of transferring contacts to the sim, is by putting it in my old Ericsson and transferring them by the old method. Definitely cumbersome.

17. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

You are correct all all accounts .... except that once your contacts are in your phone they are in the cloud and vice-versa ... so you can make calls ...

One other point is if you have hundereds of contacts SIM cards are not the way to store numbers due to limited size and one dimensional flat file so each contact which in the phone might have more than 1 number is going to that multiple records in the SIM ..

Use a good backup app like MyBackup Pro and you can backup all your phones' data and settings onto the sdcard ... so if for some reason your phone gets wiped... you can quickly restore it with having to depend on a cloud re-sync

18. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

Not exactly. If you're one of those people who doesn't sync, then no, your contacts stay on the phone. If you decided to uncheck that box, then the contacts aren't syncing and they won't be removed.

Yes, if you lose any and all data connection for an extended period of time, yes, you'll lose your contacts, but it's not something that happens instantly. If, say, you're traveling overseas and not sure if you're going to get a data connection, stop syncing and you'll keep your contacts. I'm underground on chicago's subway/eL system all the time and my contacts don't disappear when the train goes underground. it's often underground for 10 minutes depending on how far you're going. And even waiting 20-30 minutes underground with no data, my contacts are still on my phone.
    If you have T-Mobile they do now offer a backup on their end ( I don't know if it applies to Android phones as well) so that your contacts can be moved from phone to phone.

19. DanGrover

DanGrover Well-Known Member

I just had this problem. I need to send my Magic in for repair, and needed to use another phone, but no contacts were on my sim card.

Luckily, if you search the Market for "sim" you'll find one called "contacts2sim". It's free, simple, and works a charm. Absolute life saver, kudos to the developers.

20. Ciprian

Ciprian New Member

21. cini75104

cini75104 Member

On my Behold II, if I open a contact, then press the "menu" button twice, I'm given two options: (1) send name card via, and (2) copy to SIM. The first menu press brings up keyboard; second press brings up options. Sometimes it takes a couple attempts to open the two options, but it works. Hope this helps.

22. cini75104

cini75104 Member

BTW, it appears to only copy over the first phone number (not the full contact card). I haven't tested by removing my SIM, but duplicate contact entry appears for contact(s) copied to SIM card (which could be annoying if you copy a ton of contacts).

23. bala_radu

bala_radu Member

go in market and search for contact2sim, just installed it,works like a charm!

24. cheefn27

cheefn27 New Member

Agreed. contact2sim worked perfect

25. ratgurrl

ratgurrl New Member

I realize this is an old topic, and that this may no longer be an issue due to OS updates. However, I came across this topic while doing a search to figure out how to save a contact to SIM - I happened to figure it out on my own moments after I read this thread.

Go into Contacts, go into the the contact you want to save. Long touch on the phone number, choose 'Save to Sim'.