How to set orientation default to portrait?

Last Updated:

1. roystonlodge

roystonlodge Member This Topic's Starter

I have an m001 tablet, and the accelerometer doesn't work so I have to click an icon to switch from landscape to portrait. The default orientation is landscape, so I'm constantly having to switch to portrait.

Is there a config file I can edit that will set the default orientation to portrait?

Advertisement
  2. toolmania1

toolmania1 Member

I am wondering the same thing for the HTC Evo 4G LTE but in reverse. I want the default to always be landscape so that I can use the kickstand and leave the device on its side.

I have used many other Androids as well. I like the keys on the keyboard in landscape mode because they are wider and easier to press. But, the default from a factory reset is that everything is in portrait view. Only when you open apps can you go to the landscape view. This does not make any sense from a user's perspective. If I like the landscape view better, when I select "Auto Rotate" from the settings, everything should auto rotate. Furthermore, the icons on any of the main screens will only be displayed in portrait mode. What happens when we want to view the icons in landscape mode? We cannot currently ( unless someone knows how to set this ). So, some of this is a little different than the original post. But I think in general we want to be able to set the default orientation to something else than what the default is in both cases.

Basically, google needs to allow the default actions in the next OS versions / updates to allow the default to be set or "Auto Rotate" needs to work on every single screen for the Androids. There is no reason to lock the icons into portrait view on every Android.

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

I can't help the OP, but for toolmania, its because HTC set it up that way since its a phone. You can use a third party launcher like launcher pro or Go Launcher which supports landscape orientation for homescreens and app drawer as a replacement UI for your phone.

4. toolmania1

toolmania1 Member

Go Launcher is a nice solution. Thanks!

The only problem now is that there are ads on the device for a bunch of other "Go..." apps to download. Beggers can't be choosers though, right...lol?

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Try Launcher Pro. Left Go Launcher becaue of the ads. Some people say Apex and Nova Launcher are nice.