How to show / delete / manage contacts in sim cardSupport

Last Updated:

1. ken481

ken481 Active Member

Hi

I have just recieved my Samsung galaxy s2 and i am about learning how to use it.

The first problem i have is with contacts - is there a way to be able to see the contacts of your sim card and thus be able to edit or delete them.

I have searched quite a bit on this and the only solution i found was importing and exporting contacts between sim card and phone.

What i am asking here is to be able to browse through the sim contact as i do for my gmail and phone contacts.

Can this be done?

Ken

Advertisement
  2. vwgolfman

vwgolfman Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I can't help Ken but I can say that I am in the same boat.

I searched high and low but to no avail.

In the end I put my SIM back into my Galaxy S and did any SIM maintenance that way!
  3. MagicMarker

MagicMarker Well-Known Member

Well I copied all contacts from my old phone to my sim, and then when in my SGS2 I could see them. I then moved them all to my contacts.

If you set up a google account, I highly recommend using google contacts. Then you can edit them on your PC, add addresses birthday etc... and all that is used throughout your phone. E.g. my calendar now shows everyone's birthday, the google satnav can navigate to contacts etc... Oh and it's a lot easy maintaining it on your PC for the first time.
  4. ken481

ken481 Active Member

How did you manage to see your sim contacts? That is what I am trying to do
  5. vwgolfman

vwgolfman Well-Known Member

I would like to know how you can see contacts on your SIM too.
    The only way I could see those contacts was to import them from the SIM to the phone's memory and then operate on them there.

As for sync'ing to Google's server(s) and editing them online that is one way of maintaining a backup but I prefer not to sync my contacts and to maintain and backup my contacts using Samsung KIES.

That way my backups are on my PC and I'm not giving all my contact details to Google (but I've no doubt they have some back door method of getting them anyway).
  6. dedaneen

dedaneen New Member

I just got the s2 today and I imported from the sim immediately, thats all info I have now. ATM Im trying to just delete duplicates, never easy as its all new to me :)
  7. katie87

katie87 New Member

You have prob worked it out by now but if not you can change your displayed contacts by:
    Pulling up you contact list, then pressing the button next to the arrow (the one that looks a bit like an incomplete box with 2 lines in it) then press display options and change it to sim/phone. Or if you want to copy from sim/phone vice versa, select more and then it comse up with further options.
    Hope this makes sense!
    peeaitch and buntibiscuit like this.
  8. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Well-Known Member

Ken481 you could try to import your SIM contacts and move then to a separate "Group" that way you can separate them. Not ideally what you want but it does allow you to organise yourself. I have Groups like Personal, Business, Services and also Wife Mobile" where I have backed up all her phone numbers otherwise she is bound to lose them in a phone swap one day!

Also try googling for the proper user manual called "GT-i9100" which is a pdf file, although it only briefly covers some functions it's worth reading. Also Kies PC sync software is mentioned at the end. Again a bit limited, but works for some.
  9. buntibiscuit

buntibiscuit New Member

thanks Katie, just got this phone and couldn'teven find sim contacts, all in there now.
  10. slatyford

slatyford Well-Known Member

If you connect the phone to Kies (I know this is easier said than done) you can access contacts from there either on the phone or sim and edit/delete from there
  11. expiredimo

expiredimo New Member

What i found is that you can show selected contacts from different groups.
    1.click contacts
    2.click half box thing to display options bar
    3.click more
    4.click display options
    5.select the contacts to display

what i'm stuck on is how to hide my msn messenger contacts since i can still see them on my contacts list
  12. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Well-Known Member

There is an option for ONLY displaying contacts with phone numbers in the menus. That should do.
  13. Belgium Dude

Belgium Dude New Member

There is an android app that allows to change/delete the SIM-contacts,
    on a sim, limited information can be stored, for example: no e-mail address.
    You can find the free app here (SIM Contacts).
    Hopefully this is useful for anyone. ;)
    kschuett likes this.
  14. mnjnyk

mnjnyk New Member

It helped my friend(un-upgraded)..
    Now in Android 2.3.5,Sim contacts you can see and also included in display contact option you can see "SIM" option along with Phone, google , facebook etc..
  15. Spongebob290

Spongebob290 Member

Even tho you set the contacts to be viewed from phone only...on my S2 when a call comes in...it displays the number and old name from the Sim card. Also when searching for a contact it displays the sim card numbers...very annoying!! :mad::mad: I could not edit the sim numbers with any app from the market...in the end I found an old phone in a drawer (we all have them dont we?) and I put the card in this and deleted all the contacts....result!!!
    :D:D
  16. slatyford

slatyford Well-Known Member

Connect to kies (easier said than done) and you can access your sim contacts from there
    Dalby likes this.
  17. Dalby

Dalby Active Member

I'm new to this phone (and Android) too.

I have contacts options set up so it only shows Gmail contacts when I click the Contacts icon on the home screen.

However, when I click Messaging then New Message then the Contacts icon in the top right hand corner it shows three entries for most contacts.

Anyway I can set it to show the same as paragraph 2?