[HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

Last Updated: 2014-09-07 16:19:30
  1. GymelSmythe

GymelSmythe Member

Yeah, when superuser ask for permission again? Click the remember check box,that way everytime it needs access, it'll remember. Keep me posted.

Advertisement
  2. phw8558

phw8558 Well-Known Member

I think I'm good with the rooting do I still need to uninstall ginger break or can I leave it for a while
  3. GymelSmythe

GymelSmythe Member

U can uninstall and save to ur desktop incase you or a friend ever needs it.just.copyt the. Apk to a folderlike my documents or something.
  4. phw8558

Think I'm ready to move on to the cm7 rom as one of the 2 reasons for rooting was to oc. Do you need to format the sd card again or just make sure to use titanium backup?

*also in tibu should I do all user apps + system data for my backup?
  5. GymelSmythe

GymelSmythe Member

This is where it gets tricky......lol
  6. phw8558

Lol yea.. I think ill be ok following these instructions and the ones in the link. Do you need usb debugging on when putting the roms on the sd card?

Also when putting gapps and rom onto sd card they have the same file names and it asks to replace. What should I do here and is it ok to use the LOST.DIR again? --or do I not extract them into the folder but rather just put the whole zip file?

Nand backup complete just waiting for a solution to these last couple problems for the go ahead. Thanks again.
  7. GymelSmythe

GymelSmythe Member

Keep debugging on....did u already download a rom and gapps? that's the only reason i can think of wwhy it would ask to replace.....double check. DONT EXTRACT!!!!! The rom and gapps .zip's go on the root of the SD....Don't place ANYTHING in the LOST.dir ......
  8. phw8558

Ok thanks man. I was trying to extract them and I re-read the directions and realized that it's the other way around. ( found another post that verified this) Ok I'm going to go ahead and move on, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.
  9. GymelSmythe

GymelSmythe Member

Yessir!!
  10. phw8558

Under the mounts and storage menu do I do everything that doesn't have a /sdcard?

NM. Thanks

-I think I'm good to go. Setup and running. Thanks for the quick replies to all my "panic posts" :/

Couple last questions, If I update this rom or a new one and make a new nandroid backup will it overwrite my original? And can you flash new themes without doing all of the formentioned.
  11. GymelSmythe

GymelSmythe Member

Under mounts and storage format: System, cache, data, and i think boot. Don't quote me on the boot, but i think that gets formatted too..

This is from Whyzor's OP:

BACKUP ORIGINAL ROM! use vol-up/down, camera, & back keys to navigate in recovery.
    9. Factory Reset, wipe cache & dalvik-cache, then format all partitions EXCEPT /sdcard.
    10. Flash the custom ROM.zip from sdcard and gapps.zip too if going to a CyanogenMod ROM
    11. Reboot and enjoy the new ROM, the first boot takes longer than usual, also some problems may disappear after rebooting.

@Whyzor: I hope i didn't overstep any boundaries, if i did plz let me know!
  12. GymelSmythe

GymelSmythe Member

Depends on the theme....I believe Nandroids succeed each other.....No problem my friend...this forum helped me out TREMENDOUSLY when i started...Just helping out another Androidian in need lol....Always here if u need support, 24/7...Enjoy CM7!!! SN: Let it get used to your phone and get comfy with all the features before u decide to OC or anything like that....Once it settles in, the phone will get snappier.
    phw8558 likes this.
  13. phw8558

Glad I went ahead with this, because it is an awesome rom so far. Why don't the phone companies hire these guys?? My only downside is I can't figure how to get swype back but the predictive text is probably just as fast.
  14. GymelSmythe

GymelSmythe Member

It's so worth it....wait until u really get into it...i swap roms on my V every day...It's so addictive!!! And, you're welcome for the help!
  15. phw8558

My live wallpapers are gone also, I'm not really understanding whats going on with this. At first I could hit wallpapers and there was an offshoot of gallery which took me to cm7 wallpapers. However that option is gone now and I can't find my way back to it. If you have no idea what im talking about it's cool because I can live without them.
  16. GymelSmythe

GymelSmythe Member

your stock live wallpapers are gone? ok...do you still have cm7 wallpapers? Depending on what build of CM7 you have, they were taken away when you flashed, which is normal. When mine first disappeared i was freaking out thinking i had messed up majorly! lol, but ur good...What RoM did u flash? I'm curious...
  17. phw8558

I can't find the cm7 live wallpapers, they were there at first then I changed it to a nonlive paper and now they are gone. Do you know another way to find them? I installed the latest Backside rom from the link above.
  18. GymelSmythe

GymelSmythe Member

Thats why. The Backside build is slimmed down, some apk's got removed . Same RoM i run...actually? i really don't miss them because we have a Theme Chooser built in. And u can download The Theme Chooser Wallpaper App from the Market.
  19. phw8558

I did have live wallpapers post flash and now they are gone. I can't install any from the market either. That wallpaper chooser didn't work for me either. I think I am going to retry the flash...

*Ok after the reflash the live wallpaper is back. When I click the wallpaper option I get two gallery icons and one says gallery and the other says configure. When you select configure your taken to "nexus wallpaper settings" where you can edit the color scheme/background. I still have no way of makeing live wallpapers from the market work. Let me know what you think.
  20. phw8558

21. OptimusG

OptimusG Member

Thanks
  22. AlvinChien

AlvinChien Member

23. Whyzor

Whyzor Well-Known Member

It's safer to just reinstall everything from market & set things up manually. Restoring from another ROM can introduce random problems. Fortunately after you set things up the first time, later upgrades on the same ROM just require a cache & dalvik-cache wipe before flashing. All apps & settings should stick.
    AlvinChien likes this.
  24. mikeyr29

mikeyr29 Member

hello :D new to this board and new to custom mods. 2 questions:

1: I have been reading some material that claims that TiBu is not the way i should go when it comes to backing up and restoring my apps and texts/contacts/call log etc. They all claim that it does not restore all the apps that it backs up in the previous rom and that it doesnt bring back the data either. However, all of the posts ive read are all dated at least 5 months previous to now. Has anything changed? Im just about ready to flash over to CM7, but if i cant have my contacts, texts, and app data im not sure i will flash over until i know i can have it. any help?

2: Once i actually flash CM7, (using the rom manager "install rom from sd card") i know i have to flash the gapps to make the market and other g apps to work... do i flash that (and the green machine theme) the same way as i flashed the rom itself or do i have to do it another way?

thank you so much for the help! :D
  25. GymelSmythe

GymelSmythe Member

1.Personally, never had an issue with TiBu....and u can back up your contacts online with gmail.....text msgs I think with TiBu....Just remember: never restore system apps....user apps and data in TiBu is okay...But not system apps.
    2. You would flash your ROM first, and Gapps right after (while still in clockwork). I didn't flash Green Machine until after I booted up and backed up....then did a nandroid just to be safe; went back to clockwork, and flashed the theme....rebooted, and no issues....well, I hoped that helped!