How to speed up your phone without rootingTips

Last Updated:

1. Apoplectic1

Apoplectic1 Well-Known Member

Thought I would contribute something, so here goes. If you don't want to root your phone because you don't want something to go wrong while rooting and have to download the default software that no one seems to know where to get, you're waiting for Tokenpoke's

2. starxpilot

starxpilot Well-Known Member

Thanks for your contribution! [​IMG]

Trust me, its very tempted to shoot it down, as rooting will still make it faster by being able to go in and remove apps you can't do manually.

But its a nice alternative, since there is no surefire way, the Pda method doesn't seem to work for everyone and some people, like my friend, can't un-root. [​IMG]

While rooting has more benefits, this is indeed, a good guide to go by, at least, from my view. Don't feel as if you wasted your time, I believe all feedback helps, even though my root method ended up on the bottom of the rooting section. [​IMG]
  3. Tokenpoke

Tokenpoke Well-Known Member

A few good launchers that are also smaller than stock are...

Minimalistic (very bare bones. Does what it needs and no more)- zeam or He launcher. These are the best in my tests.

Standard - go launcher, adw, honeycomb (small screen size makes it a little hard to read though) a few I can't think of ATM.

Launchers to avoid- Regina launcher, crazyhome.

Tips for speed w/o root.

Look in launcher options and adjust the following...

Transition animations, turn them off.

Over scroll, bounce, also turn off.

# of home screens, workspaces etc, make as few as you need.

Widget tips...
    Widgets really eat power and ram so use only what you need. This means if you have a redundant widget (like one for SMS reading or twitter, anything that is already covered by notifications) then you don't need it.

Avoid live wallpapers like the plague.

Task killers & "battery savers"...
    Also plague carriers.
    Android OS has automatic kill thresholds, meaning when ram gets low it kills apps automatically anyway. Task killers and battery apps are actually counter productive since they lock themselves in and run constantly.

Internet radio?

Iheart radio comes in bad over 1x and eats ram/battery

Pandora does only marginally better

Slacker is about mid way between them.

That's that foe now!
    Organic16, web85 and starxpilot like this.
  4. starxpilot

starxpilot Well-Known Member

I love your posts Totenpoke, gonna pass this on. [​IMG]