• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to stop Android deleting APNs when SIM changed

gwuk

Lurker
Jun 17, 2012
Does anyone know how to stop Android deleting APNs when a new SIM is inserted?

I use a MVNO SIM so have to setup the APN manually. On inserting the SIM the phone automatically adds the APN for the parent network (O2 UK). I have to manually enter the correct settings for my provider (giffgaff).

This is fine until I take out my giffgaff SIM and use a different SIM in my Galaxy S3. Then the manually entered giffgaff APN is deleted and replaced with the APNs for the new SIM (T-Mobile). When I reinsert my giffgaff SIM it automatically creates APNs for O2 and I have to manually enter the giffgaff APN again.

Surely it doesn't need to delete existing APNs, why can't it just add new ones to the list, then I can choose the one I want.

I'm creating a new one. It doesn't seem possible to edit or delete the o2 APN.

It seems that the phone creates APNs based on the SIM that is inserted and deletes all others. So with the giffgaff SIM there are APNs for O2 and Tesco, with the T-Mobile SIM there are APNs for T-Mobile and Virgin.

I don't know if this is a Samsung thing or a an Android thing

Upvote 0
I dont think its an android thing because i used to be on gg and swapped the sim around for a while with no problem but ive never tried it on my s3. It must be because the s3 has common APN stored in it and gg isnt one of them Thats a bummer man. Why do u have to swap it anyway? Have you asked on the gg forum?
Lol do shopkeepers still give a strange look when you ask for a giffgaff top up? :D

Upvote 0
GG in PRC????

Lol ive had to physicly show shop keepers how to find GG on the menu on their paypal machine after them swearing blind it isnt on there :D

Ps Giffgaff is an ancient Scottish word meaning "to give and recieve"
I used to earn a fortune in GG payback on the forums. Like 3times what i actually payed for my service :D

Upvote 0
I don't know if this is a Samsung thing or a an Android thing

It's a GiffGaff thing. :)

When a SIM is inserted, the APNs offered are dependant on the parent network detected. O2 and Tesco Mobile are in the APN database on your device, while GiffGaff is not. Thus GG isn't automatically offered but must be configured manually.

Incidentally, there can be only one APN of each type configured on a handset. You could have one for O2 as "default" and another for GG as "MMS", for example, but two "internet" APNs for differing networks would conflict and prevent correct data routing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones