how to stop/disable app/services from running in the background?....Support

1. pctek

pctek Member

I have a at&t unlocked play 4g working on my tmobile and I notice if I go to settings in about phone theres alot of apps and or services running in the background thats I suppose is using resourse like battery and cpu/ram, most is junk apps/services that I dont even use, I dont even have a data plan.

Is there a way to have those junk stuff from running? I even notice that if I use task killer app it close like 8 apps/services but then couple seconds later those same apps/services start up again by themself.

thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. Xphyle

Xphyle Well-Known Member

Are you rooted? If so, you can freeze them with Titanium Backup.

X
  3. pctek

pctek Member

No im not rooted.
  4. paxchristos

paxchristos Well-Known Member

first off, don't use a task killer, they don't work.

Second off, if you wanna get rid of all the extra stuff, you need root. It's available in the all things root section. Then you need a program to remove the apps. I suggest titanium backup.
  5. fuhrl

fuhrl Well-Known Member

What if we don't want to get rid of the programs, just have them not running in the background when we're not using them? Like, right now, I have Vlingo, G+, Key Ring, Hanging Free, Words Free, Alarm Clock Xtreme, Google Maps and a few others running in the background. I have not used them at all since I rebooted my phone but they are somehow running. I don't want them auto starting and running in the background. I want them running when I'm using them and only then.
  6. Andima

Andima Well-Known Member

I also used popular task killer apps, but i don't think they will do their job properly. So now i identify automatically running apps and uninstall them. Apart from that i restart my phone every day, for better performances. I use memory booster, but not sure it also work as they mention.
  7. paxchristos

paxchristos Well-Known Member

App quarantine for root users (free)
    It freezes programs, like titanium, but that's all it does.
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.ramdroid.appquarantine&hl=en

Check out V6 supercharger script. Not sure about memory booster, tho.

TL;DR. about task killers: they kill tasks prematurely, forcing the task to reopen and start over, wasting ram.

Android is NOT built the same as windows. Memory management should not be a problem IF you keep a reasonable number of apps, AND you pay attention to what programs have memory leaks (use too much ram) and email the devs regarding programs that leak memory.
    Andima likes this.