• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to stop Dolphin from opening Youtube links?

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty happy with Dolphin Browser, IMHO the best web browser in Android. The only annoyance is that it opens Youtube links in the mobile version of Youtube's site instead of redirecting them to the native Youtube app.
Is there any way to force Dolphin to use the Youtube app?

Thanks in advance,
Sherman

The one I had yesterday was a youtu.be link. Looks like the share button on youtube always gives a youtu.be link.

I will email dolphin support and see if they can redirect that to the youtube app.

Here's a random youtube.com link
How to Link a YouTube/Google Account - YouTube

I'll check from my phone now to see where that forwards.

EDIT: No. Clicking that link from inside dolphin did not take me to the youtube app. It just stated playing the video in the browser.

I'll let you know if/when dolphin support replies.

EDIT 2: Just tried the above link with boat browser and it comes up with a popup asking if to use Youtube or Boat.

Upvote 0
Clear dolphin's defaults (in the settings app). At some point you clicked on open with dolphin (always). When it comes up again then tap on youtube!

edit: doesnt seem to work on my nexus 7 but it does on my phone. weird!
Already cleared the defaults of the dolphin app. Youtube links clicked from within dolphin still don't go to youtube app.

Upvote 0
Dolphin support replied.

"Considering some users prefer to open YouTube videos only on Dolphin Browser, and some guys like you prefer to still use YouTube client, we have already added an option "Choose the way to open current page" while long press the address bar to our latest Dolphin Browser v 9.2.0."

Never noticed that was there, but it does seem to work. You still have to go to the youtube page for the video first in Dolphin, but if you long press the address bar and choose that option and then youtube, it'll then play in the youtube app. That should suffice for me.

Reactions: werty89
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones