How to stop the screen from timing out during a phone callSupport

Last Updated:

1. RPrevidi

RPrevidi Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All:

New EVO user here as of last Friday. I've done a ton of searching, watching and reading and I have a couple questions to the experts out there.

Please let me know if there is a way to stop the screen from timing out (going dark) during a phone call. I find it annoying to have to hit the power button to get the screen back..

I'm using earbuds so the phone isn't near my face and it recognizes the phones as I can see the headset icon. I keep the phone on my desk and the screen times out almost immediately after I make a call and accept an incoming call. It's extremely annoying since I make a ton of work calls and I need to either navigate through an auto attendant and / or leave a message. All of which I have to hit the power button every single time I want the screen to turn back on. I have noticed that the volume buttons turn the screen back on as well.

The screen timeout is set at 2 minutes under the "Sound & Display" category but that doesn't effect the screen time out during a call.

Anyone out there have a solution?

Advertisement
  2. luxetical

luxetical Well-Known Member

Actually I believe it uses a sensor, its not on a timer.
    So when you hold you phone against your face, the screen turns off, when you take it away, it comes back on.
    It was one of the first things I noticed and I instantly fell in love with it.

Next time your on the phone try it out, give it a few seconds after you pull it away from your ear.
    if it doesn't turn on, the sensor might be turned off or something else. My EVO did this straight out of the box so I don't think it needs to be turned on.

3. archie70

archie70 Active Member

Try this app Screebl

4. RPrevidi

Wow, thanks for the responses.

I know about the sensor but here's the problem...

It's never close to my face ever.. I leave my phone on my desk and I dial it like I would a regular phone, I'm aware of the sensor but wouldn't you think that if it knows there is a headset or bluetooth in use that it would disengage it? Even if it isn't that smart does anyone know how to manually disengage it?

I took a look at Screebl, thank you for the suggestion... but it appears as if that's the other extreme and I have read that it has functionality issues as well... I just want the option of leaving it on for 1 minute or whatever time works best... maybe 30 seconds?... just more than the 3 seconds it stays on for now...

5. getlooks

getlooks Well-Known Member

I had the same issue. Sprint tech support told me that you have to run your hand over the sensor to light up the screen again. Really sucks when using an earpiece and you need to hit options on your touch screen, but they are blacked-out.

6. luxetical

luxetical Well-Known Member

ohh I see now.

Ya the hand over the sensor works, but sometimes it doesn't catch it.

7. RPrevidi

OK, this may sound like a really dumb question but I just tried this out and was waving my hand over the front of the phone, on the side and behind it and the only way I could get the phone to light back up is by pushing the power button like I always do...

Here's the dumb question... where exactly is the sensor located on the phone that I need to wave my hand in front of? Maybe mine is broken? But then that wouldn't make sense either to me because why then it would it always turn the screen off...

8. NicksGarage

NicksGarage Well-Known Member

the sensors are on the front at the top right below the status LED. If you hold the screen up to a bright light, you'll see them behind the glass.

9. RPrevidi

Well I just discovered something very interesting.

Waiving your hand in front of the sensor doesn't work if you have a headset plugged in. I just tested it and the sensor will activate the screen when you are using it normally without a headset.

When the headset is actually plugged in waving your hand in front of the sensor doesn't turn the screen back on.

10. rayflstf

rayflstf New Member

I think if you just touch the home button on the bottom left it will come back on. Not the answer you were looking for, but easier then pushing the power button on top.

Steve_S_T likes this.
  11. RPrevidi

Nope, the home button doesn't work either when a headset is plugged in.

12. RPrevidi

FYI... I downloaded a free ap called keepscreen and it works pretty well. Thanks for all the help everyone.

dafuse likes this.
  13. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Well-Known Member

Keepscreen did not do anything for my Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate.
    the phone app goes blank every 2 seconds requiring to push the side button to bring it back.