• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to stop unwanted TALK messages

Yes, how?
I've never used this thing, thought it was more damn bloatware like the pointless Autotrader/Twitter/Facecrook apps that I DONT WANT TO BE TOLD TO HAVE BY DEFAULT.
It's a Google version of Skype? I bet I can't get rid of it without nerding my phone to death, so i'd love to know how to disable it. Ta :)

I've signed out of it (never knew I signed in), does this link directly to my gmail email - meaning I have no choice to to have the thing sucking data quietly in the background?

Upvote 0
Yes, how?
I've never used this thing, thought it was more damn bloatware like the pointless Autotrader/Twitter/Facecrook apps that I DONT WANT TO BE TOLD TO HAVE BY DEFAULT.
It's a Google version of Skype? I bet I can't get rid of it without nerding my phone to death, so i'd love to know how to disable it. Ta :)

I've signed out of it (never knew I signed in), does this link directly to my gmail email - meaning I have no choice to to have the thing sucking data quietly in the background?

Oh dear....somebody's not happy with googles android.....well I have to say i felt a bit like that when I first got it.....but have to agree it would be far superior if you could de-select the in-built apps, that are never going to be used (by that phones owner), and to save power!

Data and power drain are minimal (virtually non existent). I use Talk on a regular basis (multiple times, daily) and it doesn't appear on any usage stats (WiFi or 3G) since my last billing end date, 22/10. It's never appeared in my list of power hungry apps either.

It's a Google service, so you're signed in by default, just like you are with Gmail.

If it's a massive issue having it run in the background head to Settings -> Apps -> All -> Talk -> Disable and that will remove it from your app drawer and effectively stop it from ever running until you enable it. With ICS, you can use the same method to disable a lot of the built in, pre installed apps too.

Signing out from within the app would have the same effect though.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I didn't even know what it was. Perhaps it is useful? I really can't be bothered with social network sites, if this is a G+ backdoor it can gtfo. :D
/QUOTE]

As other said; it's a `chat app' a so called instant messenger, much like yahoo, msn etc. In the same way that an MSN email account is tied with both email and msn chat (or whatever they call it these days :rolleyes:), and yahoo mail <--> yahoo talk.

It's not a backdoor into anything, it's not even a social network thing. I use it to talk to several mates and the missus .. ideal when I am on the go. Or as we're often in different rooms ;-)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones