How to stop unwanted TALK messagesSupport

1. smurph1

smurph1 Well-Known Member

I have never signed in or used the TALK app on my HTC One X, but get repeated messages, how do i stiop them?

Advertisement
  2. GuitarG20

GuitarG20 Clueless Senior Member Contributor

are you talking about google talk? because you can go in and mark yourself as offline and this should stop them.
    smurph1 likes this.
  3. Doomstang

Doomstang Well-Known Member

I always sign out of Talk. It saves me battery too.
  4. smurph1

Yes, google talk, went and signed out....didn't know you had to do that....had been fearful of entering and making things worse!
  5. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

I just completely disabled it.
  6. smurph1

BigCiX.....I'll ask the obvious...HOW?
  7. Ironclad

Ironclad Well-Known Member

Yes, how?
    I've never used this thing, thought it was more damn bloatware like the pointless Autotrader/Twitter/Facecrook apps that I DONT WANT TO BE TOLD TO HAVE BY DEFAULT.
    It's a Google version of Skype? I bet I can't get rid of it without nerding my phone to death, so i'd love to know how to disable it. Ta :)

I've signed out of it (never knew I signed in), does this link directly to my gmail email - meaning I have no choice to to have the thing sucking data quietly in the background?
  8. smurph1

Oh dear....somebody's not happy with googles android.....well I have to say i felt a bit like that when I first got it.....but have to agree it would be far superior if you could de-select the in-built apps, that are never going to be used (by that phones owner), and to save power!
  9. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Data and power drain are minimal (virtually non existent). I use Talk on a regular basis (multiple times, daily) and it doesn't appear on any usage stats (WiFi or 3G) since my last billing end date, 22/10. It's never appeared in my list of power hungry apps either.

It's a Google service, so you're signed in by default, just like you are with Gmail.

If it's a massive issue having it run in the background head to Settings -> Apps -> All -> Talk -> Disable and that will remove it from your app drawer and effectively stop it from ever running until you enable it. With ICS, you can use the same method to disable a lot of the built in, pre installed apps too.

Signing out from within the app would have the same effect though.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  10. Ironclad

I didn't even know what it was. Perhaps it is useful? I really can't be bothered with social network sites, if this is a G+ backdoor it can gtfo. :D

Perhaps I am not using 'googles android' to the best or fullest at all, but I do hate preinstalled pap & this Talk thing.. I thought it was a TalkTalk (a UK isp) app.
  11. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

It's just a chat app tied to your Gmail account, nothing sinister. I've only a few folk from here on it and Mrs Presidente but it's probably one of my most used apps. :)
    EarlyMon likes this.
  12. Ironclad

Hail, El Prez! :D
  13. michiel.van.wessem

michiel.van.wessem Well-Known Member