How to stream video from PC to Moto droid or X via 3g?Support

Last Updated:

1. jmichael99

jmichael99 Member This Topic's Starter

So i have a ton of divx and h.264 movies on my pc. i want to be able to stream to my droid phone(s) when im away from home. how can i do this?

i have the org droid but will be getting the X when it comes out

Advertisement
  2. dookie1

dookie1 Well-Known Member

if you use Win7 (or another DNLA-compliant media source), i believe DLNA can be configured to allow sharing over the internet. and the X is supposedly DNLA compliant as well.

as far as making it all work...that's up to you. i'd begin by getting it working over your local LAN (with the X on wifi) first, as proof of concept.

3. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

You could set up an ftp server and host the files. Then use estrongs file explorer to open whatever file you are looking for. I doubt it's streaming though.

Personally I'd take them with me on a card. An extra sd card is cheap. 8gig was $18 at office depot the other day.

4. greenrolaids

greenrolaids Well-Known Member

just go to orb dot com...

it allows you to stream your movies / pic's / music / tv if you have a tv tuner in your computer, right to your phone.. its pretty slick and its free.

5. DrJD

DrJD Well-Known Member

There are apps that specifically do this for the iPhone, there's got to be one that does it on Android as well...

6. TheShade001

TheShade001 Member

Has anyone heard anymore on this? Unfortunately, DLNA will NOT do the trick on a Win7 computer and the Droid X. In fact the DLNA is pretty much useless.

Orb.com is HORRIBLE and i would not recommend it to anyone as an alternative. I use to use it. It requires you to keep the site open on your computer at all times (at least it used to) - not to mention it didn't do it's job very well.

Setting up an ftp is a lot of work just to be able to browse to it with your file browser which, like the post suggests, is not streaming.

Has anyone found a practicle solution to this? Hope so!

7. edhgreatone

edhgreatone Well-Known Member

yeah there was a How To like a DIY guide on droidx forums on how to mount your droid x on the network....

you can actually map the droid x as a harddrive from your computer and would never have to use the usb again!

8. TheShade001

TheShade001 Member

9. exwifeusesiphone

exwifeusesiphone Well-Known Member

Ooooh, I gotta try that, I didn't think you could stream over 3G, only a local network.

DLNA actually does work for streaming over your network though, BTW.

10. Travisimo

Travisimo Well-Known Member

DLNA will only allow you to stream media that is compatible and in the right format that your Droid X can play. Tversity, at least when I used to use it, will actually transcode your media on the fly and then stream it to your device in the right format.

On the iPhone, the two best apps for this are Air Video and Stream To Me, neither of which I do not think are available on Android yet. But they both work over 3G on the iPhone, so those would probably be your best bet if we could convince the devs to make an Android version!

Regarding the trick of mounting your Droid X via the network instead of USB, where is that exactly?

11. TheShade001

TheShade001 Member

12. Carys

Carys New Member

I have Tversity all set up and can access it both from within my network and externally, however I cannot stream over the 3G network. Has anyone had any luck doing so or found a tutorial for how to make it work over 3G. I'd like to be able to access music/movies while commuting (no wi-fi hot spots,etc.)

13. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

If your upload speed is too slow on your home connection, you probably won't have much luck with streaming over 3G, Carys.

14. Jayme

Jayme Well-Known Member

15. Iliketrains

Iliketrains Well-Known Member

Hey I found something called AndTV. Looked promising, but I couldn't quite figure out how to make it work. Oh well, maybe its worth looking into.

16. dmarksvr

dmarksvr Member

I'm new, just got a Lg vortex and was disappointed it didn't have flash...sales lady made it sound like it did ;( And my parents were rushing me after 3 hours in the store getting and setting up all our phones.

Anyways as best I can tell ANDTV should stream video from ANDVLC but I can't seem to get it to work...the website has minimal info. I think the phone is setup right the problem is something with the vlc setup. I can't figure out how to put together a streaming playlist and get it to show up on my phone. A detailed walk-through by anyone who has managed to pull this off would be much appreciated :)

17. Bailx

Bailx Member

samba / smb / cifs whatever you want to call it... is the way to go (if your kernel supports it)...mine doesn't (casio)