How to swap to a larger SD card?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by mrmolio, Aug 23, 2010.

1. mrmolio

mrmolio New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Brand new to android, and loving it. But with the release of the Audible app and various music files, I'm going to fill my little 2GB card soon.

How would I go about switching to a larger capacity card? I'm not worried about data files, I know I can copy all of that stuff off the card, but what about any apps or app settings that might be stored on the card? If I simply copy the entire contents of the card to a new one, will everything "work" when I start the phone up? I confess I don't really know much about the android guts, but I'm willing to learn!

Thanks for any help.

Phone specs:
    1.) Model Number: Samsung Intercept SPH-M910
    2.) Firmware Version: 2.1-update1
    3.) Baseband Version: S:M910.05 S.DF27
    4.) Kernel Version 2.6.29
    5.) Build Number Samsung ECLAIR.DF27
    6.) Carrier - Sprint
    7.) US

Advertisement
  2. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I have done this twice, but both times with a 1.5 ROM. I've not done it with 2.1.

Both times, I simply copied all the files from the smaller card to the larger card, rebooted the phone and everything worked.

mrmolio likes this.
  3. tp_technologies

tp_technologies Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Canada
    It will work as long as the directory names stay the same and by copying and pasting they will. Ive done it several times, just copied to a folder on my computer and copied it all back

mrmolio likes this.
  4. sitlet

Apr 11, 2010
    Yep, connect to computer and copy all contents to the computer. Then put new card in, connect to computer, and transfer all files back.

mrmolio likes this.