how to switch primary gmail accounts

Last Updated:

1. Rakhan

Rakhan Member This Topic's Starter

When i initially set up my evo i used a gmail account witch i no longer desire to use. I would like to switch to a newer gmail account that i set up. I thought this would be fairly simple but it turns out it isnt. From my searches people say you have to reset the phone. I would really like not to do this.

I saw this on the G1 forum
    Settings>Manage Applications>Gmail and then hit clear data to delete the e-mail address. Next time you open the app it asks you for your login, which would be your new email address.

I tried that on my evo however the clear data button was not lit up, i could not press it.

Does anyone no of was to do this

thank you.

Advertisement
  2. KAuss

KAuss Well-Known Member

You have to do a hard reset... You can add MORE gmails to the phone, but you can't delete the primary unless you hard reset...

You also lose anything you link to that email as far as your purchased apps and such... No way to transfer it so save yourself the trouble...

Just keep your primary, and add an additional gmail...

3. Biggest Fro

Biggest Fro Well-Known Member

A reset is required because your Gmail account is what is used for the market.
    So if you was able to change the account without a reset, then your apps would already show up installed when they really weren't, or vise versa.

If you have heard of the apps2sd glitches then you might know what I'm talking about. People had apps showing up as installed, when they weren't on the phone. So there was no way to uninstall the app, or to install it again.