How To: Sync iTunes with Android

Last Updated:

1. SOHurley

SOHurley Well-Known Member

This guide is an easier, edited version of a article I read online. The source can be found at the bottom.

For those of you coming from iPhones/iPods and have massive clean & organized music with iTunes, there is indeed a way to sync your music for free to your android phone. If you like it, support the project, the software I'm about to talk about is free.

iTunes Agent - Windows based software that reads iTunes, keeps organization and brings the files to your Android Phone.
    iTuneMyWalkman - Mac users that are smart enough to know that there are other Mp3 players other than iPods, install this software instead of iTunes Agent.

1.) Download iTunes Agent,

2.) ---> Once Installed, the software will run in the system tray.

3.) Plug in your Android (EVO 4G in this guide.) and mount it as a hard drive. The software is going to write files to your SD Card.

4.) ---> Create a folder on your SD Card titled Music. I will explain why below.

Configuring iTunes Agent

Now, if you indeed have iTunes installed, you'll see this ballon on the bottom of your tray, letting you know that you're a pro at following directions, and you installed it successfully.

Right click iTunes Agent, and click Preferences. The next picture is what pops up.

Leave the checked ballons alone, unless you know what you're doing, and want to customize it to your taste. Be advised:

• Name: HTC EVO 4G (or your specific mp3 player)
    • Sync Pattern: iTunes
    • Music Location: Locate your Music Folder you created on your SD Card
    • Recgonize by Folder/File: Click Create.
    • Click: New Device, and you'll have a config for HTC EVO 4G, you can make multiple configs, it will detect each unit that is connected.

" The fine print. It's going to delete your music folder that you already have on your phone/mp3 player if you specifiy the location directly to it. Link it to your empty "Music" folder, then make changes as you see fit. "

iTunes will create a new section called "My Devices" above your Playlist section.

1. Drag Your Music
    2. Sync iTunes Agent
    3. Watch long progress bar
    4. Verify
    5. ???
    6. Profit.

Congrats, Achivement Unlocked.

2. jayk32

jayk32 Member

Thanks 4 the info!! :)
    cheattowin1 likes this.
  3. SOHurley

I'm glad it helped you man. That's no problem. I'm too stuck on iTunes to switch to Winamp. Not just yet.
  4. Connectz

Connectz Well-Known Member

Works perfectly! Thanx!!!
  5. unplugged12

unplugged12 Member

been looking for something like this ! thanks!
  6. patt1293

patt1293 Member

Great tut but if you want easy and will pay a couple bucks for it. Go find iSyncr it's fast and easy :D
  7. Simba501

Simba501 Well-Known Member

Used it and it successfully synced the files I wanted (TV Shows bought from the iTunes Store), but I still couldn't play them on the Captivate....any solutions/ideas?
  8. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

Thank you VERY much. I didn't want to add my music and manually change the names AGAIN.

Would this work for Vibrant? Stupid question...
  9. Simba501

Simba501 Well-Known Member

Sev likes this.
  10. Sev

Sev Well-Known Member

11. RedRyno

RedRyno Well-Known Member

...After you click "create" a window pops open, what do I do then?

I've done this twice on both my pc's and I get nothing...
  12. mched

mched Well-Known Member

Does the album art show up?
  13. SOHurley

Yes, album art does show up. Sorry for the delay, I was away.

For the person with the create issue, a window is not supposed to pop up, it creates a section on your SD card, and iTunes for sync. Please upload a SS, so we can trouble shoot for you.
  14. GeekEcosse

GeekEcosse New Member

Hi and thanks for the guide. I do not have a SD card but have ~16GB of space on my Galaxy S but it will not let me select the Music folder on this internal memory. Ideas ?
  15. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Doesn't work for me. The agent claims it can't communicate with iTunes. I suspect it's because I'm running a 64 bit version.
  16. GeekEcosse

GeekEcosse New Member

I am 99% sure (at work so cannot check) that I am running Itunes 64 bit on 64bit Win7 and the agent detects it. I just do not have a SD card as I have a big internal memory.
  17. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Interesting. I get all kinds of errors that list SIDS. I also get .Net errors, but .Net 2.0 comes with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I don't know what my issue is TBH. I'd love for it to work.
  18. moe_12345

moe_12345 Member

Thanks for this very simplified guide. Perhaps to point out a very small note here that you should DRAG your MUSIC/PLAYLISTS to over/on top of your device name under My Devices in iTunes...;)
    The only method that works successfully for me with my HTC Desire. I have tried Salling Media Sync; DoubleTwist; WinAmp, MediaMonkey and they all did only partial syncs and ommitted lots of music/playlists. iSyncr just didn't work for me and the config process appeared complex! This is so simple and coming from iPhone/iTunes previous use/ownership I was reluctant to ditch iTunes altogether.
  19. el tacorojo

el tacorojo New Member

tried this out for the first time kinda confused me for a min but figured it out . thanks for the post
  20. moe_12345

moe_12345 Member

Only problem is PLAYLISTS DO NOT show up on your android device - the music files sync just fine but that's about it.
  21. Video_freak

Video_freak Active Member

Yeah, that's very annoying. Other than that though this is really cool, thanks!
  22. chris504

chris504 Active Member

Having trouble. It takes about an hour to sync and the progress bar shows everythings been synced sucessfully but after its done all my SD card has in the Music folder is tons of subfolders for each artist and album but only 2-3 songs are in there out of 1100+ in my itunes. Tried erasing contents of Music folder and resync but similar result. But in File Manager my 32gb card shows almost halfway used up so i dunno whats wrong
  23. austindta09

austindta09 Member

What if I only want to sync a few albums onto my phone? Do I just un-check everything besides those albums on iTunes and then drag the checked music files over to "my devices" in iTunes?
  24. Serdna117

Serdna117 Active Member

BTW, for mac users who just want to transfer a couple songs or whatever from itunes, you can just right click on whatever you want to transfer click "show in finder" and then drag and drop onto whatever folder in your mounted device.
  25. typoerror

typoerror Well-Known Member

Double Twist

probably the best media player for android and work amazingly well with itunes.