1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

how to sync Outlook (not Outlook Exchange)

Last Updated:

1. loki16

loki16 Member This Topic's Starter

newbie here, please be nice.

i had been recommended Active Sync to sync with Outlook but now i find that it's for syncing with Outlook Exchange. (i'm using plain vanilla Outlook, no Exchange).

i happen to run all email via a gmail account for backup, spam filtering, emergencies when I don't have my laptop) so syncing email is not an issue.

but... how do i sync tasks, calender and contacts?

thx.

Advertisement
  2. haddock

haddock Well-Known Member

3. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

There are a lot of sync apps out there. Many relied on wired sync. If you want wireless sync with a Google account (which will, in turn, sync with your device) you can try gsyncit but I'm not sure if it supports tasks.

Exchange is just Exchange. Exchange is the server, Outlook is the client.

4. loki16

Attached Files:

• mpe.gif
      mpe.gif
      File size:
      15.2 KB
      Views:
  5. loki16

6. haddock

haddock Well-Known Member

Hmm... Dunno. I don't remember that option when I installed mine. I think you should just click "next" without checking the portable box, since it seems to be asking you if you want to install the portable version (whatever that is) or the full version. I think if you install the full version by just clicking next you shouldn't have a problem.

They are usually pretty quick answering mails at their support, so give them a try maybe. Hope it works!

loki16 likes this.
  7. loki16

thanks haddock.

i've moved past that issue and now am trying to get MPE to recognise the USB connection (attached gif). have emailed gmx.at

8. zillertaler

zillertaler Member

@loki: You have mailed a screenshot with the error to me. In the errormessage you see the button "Help" -> this will open some useful tipps. To solve your problem:
    - ensure that you enabled "USB-Debugging" on your phone
    - ensure that you installed the ADB-Drivers for your phone (maybe you have to Google for them)

By the way: You should not connect your phone in Mass Storage mode cause MyphoneExplorer has no access to your SD-Card in this case.

9. loki16

@zillertale
    managed to enable USB-debugging but the instructions (and comments/complaints about the difficulty) for installing the ADB-drivers are too difficult for a non-tech like me. in any case, thanks for taking the time to answer.

anyone else got a reliable way to get my a nexus one to sync with oputlook (or even get outlook to talk to gmail) ??

10. loki16

for anyone else with the same problem; think i might have this solved. am trying companionlink now and it seems to do the job. will have to pay US40 when trial finishes but worth it.

(using Windows 7-64 bit, Outlook 2007 and Android 2.2)

11. spile

spile Well-Known Member

I had no problems installing MyPhoneExplorer and getting it to sync my contacts over wifi. The drivers issue I believe is solved by installing HTC Sync first. Obviously you'll not want to use it though :)

12. Jshuff

Jshuff New Member

I am trying to sync my evo with outlook. I keep getting this error message saying "Either there is no default mail client or the current client cannot fulfill the message request. Please run microsoft outlook and set it as the default mail client."

I looking in outlook setting and it appear to be the default mail client.

Can some please help me.

13. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

Try the forums on the MyPhoneExplorer website. The developer seems very quick in getting back to problems. Maybe a simple 'search' on there might be enough?

Though what I would try first is re-booting my computer and re-starting the phone. IT people say that technology marches on but a simple re-boot still manages to fix a multitude of problems.

Dave

14. SuperBaby

SuperBaby Well-Known Member

Android 2.1 syncs flawlessly with Outlook 2007. You need to use HTC Sync 3.0.

Before upgrading from Android 1.5 to 2.1, I synced with HTC Sync 2.x and I was going crazy. Not long after the installation, the HTC Sync failed to detect the phone.

Please note that you can only sync contacts and calendars. Not notes.