• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to sync Samsung Galaxy S-II with computer and other questions

Hello.

I'm rather the opposite of savvy when it comes to phones and other electronics so I have some questions which might be very basic here. I have a Samsung Galaxy S-II which is at the end of its life. I just bought a new Samsung Galaxy Alpha to replace it. But before I get into that, I wanted to sort out my old phone.

I want to connect my Samsung Galaxy S-II to my computer and save all my contacts, pictures, and videos. Basically, I don't want to lose anything on the memory of my phone before swapping sim cards. I am pretty sure none of my important stuff is saved on my sim card. (Can I save message history? I am worried about losing my messages too.)

I have connected my phone to my computer via the usb cord to move pictures, but otherwise I don't think I have synced it or anything. I have been told that I can do this using wifi, but to me that is basically voodoo and I will need more specific instructions. I am using a computer now, obviously, which is connected to the internet and I do have a modem with wifi. I managed to get wifi connected on my phone and even downloaded a couple of apps via the google app store, but I am not really sure what to do now. I think there is a way to sync up with my computer or my gmail or something? I'm a bit confused.

If I can get that sorted, obviously I want to move onto my new phone. I know how to put the sim in it (I asked in the store and I brought written instructions with me home), but I want to move all my contacts onto the new phone as well as sync it up and prepare it for some general use. I am a pretty simple guy, but I would like to start using some things I never used before. All my friends have snapchat which I would like to use. I'd also like to figure out how to put some audio files on my new phone to use for the ringtone and message tone instead of the basic stuff.

If anyone can help me with any of this I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Can anyone help? I've been trying for hours but it has been slow going. I think I managed to sync my contacts to my gmail so I won't lose them, and I saved my pictures/videos to a folder on my computer by connecting my phone to the computer with a usb cable, but I still need to save all my sms messages since some of them are very important and I don't want to just let them be deleted.

Upvote 0
Hi

You need an app to back up SMS and call logs. Have a look at SMS Backup & Restore (plus the add on to save to Google) and also CM Security on the play store. (There are many others) There is no built in way to save that information (otherwise the apps wouldn't exist! :)

Do read the "read more" sections for each app in playstore and be confident that it should do what you want and that you understand. Post back with more questions if you like. The main thing is not to wipe your old phone before you have the info transferred..

Roger

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones