How to tell what's using RAM?Support

Last Updated:

1. reisb

reisb Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

In task manager, it say RAM is around 260/325MB.

I notice it sometimes takes a bit longer to open apps and wonder if it's because RAM is pretty used up.

Anyway to check why so high?

Advertisement
  2. saps

saps Well-Known Member

GoBruins likes this.
  3. GoBruins

GoBruins Well-Known Member

Thanks didn't know that. All i've been doing was using task manager and checking how much RAM was being used, rather than what was using it! Are there any better ones that are paid?

4. saps

saps Well-Known Member

5. reisb

Thanks. I'll try it out.

Sorry for the delay. I thought I would get email with responses. Guess forum doesn't automatically subscribe you when you post. Is there a way to turn that on with all posts instead of having to goto advanced and subscribe?

6. reisb

how do you get apps on appbrain?

7. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

d/i it to your phone and then sync it...it will find everything you have installed. go to a computer browser and go to appbrain.com and log in there and you can see whats on your phone and whatever you add to appbrain on the computer will sync with your phone next time you load appbrain and sync.

8. reisb

So how do you know what's using up your RAM? and what can you do about it?

Is it the "active applications" that are showing on main screen? if so, are the MB amounts how much RAM they are using.

And by reading it says you don't really want to free up memory and close apps unless those apps are having problems???

Memory: "You do not need to be concerned if the device has low available memory, Android will automatically free memory when it is required"

9. reisb

Thanks. And what is the reason for using appbrain vs market?

I found TinyFlashlight and TeslaLED on regular market.

10. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

appbrain was more important when the market wasnt as large and many things were hosted on alternate android markets. really i never use it, but its neat i guess if you dont have your phone for some reason and you find an app on the computer (although i cant say ive ever had to do that)

i had it on my droid x, never have used it on my inc or fascinate.

11. Moonfire

Moonfire Well-Known Member

I tend to use AppBrain for installing new apps, and the Market for updating. I'm on the computer a lot, so it is very useful to browse apps just on the computer - even better with the FastInstaller, one button and it's being sent to the phone. Also, AppBrain has its own comment/rating system, so you can get even more opinions on how well the app works. Plus AppBrain keeps track of what apps you have, so if you have to factory reset the phone or something, you don't have to go by memory. I do use the Market for updating, though, since it seems to take a bit before AppBrain notices there's a new version. Perhaps that's just me, though.