How to test if GPS on G1 is working?Support

Last Updated:

1. mervin106

mervin106 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello eveyone,

I've been using my G1 for about a month now and loving it. I have a question about the gps. How can I tell it's working?

Whenever I go to maps and use 'my location' it keeps saying 'Trying to determine your location' then it would say 'cannot locate will keep trying ...' I've tried it in different parts of Toronto (I'm in Canada) and get the same message. With the cell location enabled it works fine. Only when I have the gps enabled do I get this message.

Is there a problem with my gps?

TIA

Mervin

Advertisement
  2. devolio

devolio Well-Known Member

Go into the settings for the GPS and turn off 'Use wifi networks'. Turn on the option below it (name escapes me at the moment). This will let the GPS actually use the satellites to find your location instead of just wifi networks. :D

3. mervin106

That was the first thing I did to test it.

I disabled 'Use wireless networks' and enabled 'Enable GPS satellites'.

4. devolio

What application are you using to test it? Also, you have to be outside for it to really work well. I've never had any issues with mine though, so if you still can't get it working, it may be bad hardware :(

5. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Well-Known Member

If GPS is turned on and you use an application that uses GPS then you will see a green radar icon at the top of the phone. If the radar is flashing then it is trying to determine your location, the if radar is showing and not flashing then it has established a connection and has pinpointed your location.

6. mervin106

I'm using maps to test it and yes, I went outside to test it :D I see the little radar flashing at the top. Well, it looks like it's time to send my phone back to T-mobile for a replacement :(

7. devolio

I would double check and make sure that you've tried everything before you do.

Reboot the phone and make sure that Wifi networks is off, GPS is enabled, using satellites is enabled, you're outside, and try your original app and an app like pinpoint. If it doesn't work after that, then it's probably for the best.

8. happyface_0

happyface_0 Active Member

Don't act so fast to get a replacement. Mine didn't work for the first while, then I tried it on a decently long car trip and it pinpointed my location. Now it works pretty good.

9. mervin106

I tested using pinpoint, gps doesn't work :( the map didn't move. But when I enabled 'wireless networks' it pinpointed my location.

10. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

Even a real handheld GPS unit can take a while the first time its used to get your location.

Also if you are a good distance away from the last use it can take a while.

I would say go outside and let it run for about 5 minutes or so then get your location.

11. randel77

randel77 Well-Known Member

The first time I ever used my gps it took like three minutes for it to find me. Since then its a lot faster. I just turned it on and it took about 10 secs to find me and I'm inside my house. I've read that there are multiple gps satellites the your phone locks onto so I would guess that your location will greatly effect how well the gps on your phone will work. I'm in San Diego

12. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

Ther are about 30 GPS satellites in orbit around the Earth. You should be able to pick up 4+ anywhere in the U.S. You will not get a strong or any signal inside of a building. Very heavy forest canopy will weaken the signal also.

If you own/use a gps you should try Geocaching, google it, its fun.