1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

How to tether tablet to phone?

1. OK, so I'm a total beginner at this kind of thing and find the internet solutions too complicated.

So could someone tell me in layman's terms how to tether my Archos & home to my android phone? The tablet doesn't have Bluetooth, spo that's totally out and I only have the AppsLib market place (the hacks to get the full market place just don't work) So, how could I tether the two to get 3G?

Advertisement
  2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Do you mean from the tablet to the phone or from the phone to tablet? Either way, you should be able to turn your device into a wireless hotspot by going to Menu>Settings>Wireless>Mobile AP.
  3. I'm confused, what would be the difference between the two?

And I have nothing in Wireless apart from Wi-Fi.
  4. chanchan05

The difference is that, where is your SIM where you will get the 3G signal located, in the phone or the tablet? Of course 3G internet is available only on where the SIM is inserted. And you will tether from that device.

Nothing in wireless apart from WiFi? That's almost not possible, unless you are referring to your tablet. You Menu>Settings>wireless and network option should contain the options for "flight mode", "bluetooth settings", "USB settings", "Mobile Networks" and "Mobile AP" (mobile AP is available on Android 2.1 and higher).

5. From my mobile? Ah right. I'm on 2.1 here but there is no mobile AP Airplane mode, Wifi, WiFi settings, Bluetooth, Bluetooth settings, VPN settings and Mobile Networks. That's it.
  6. chanchan05

Oh sorry. A quick Google search states that 2.2 is the one with native Mobile Hotspot support. You could use WiFi tethering apps though, get some from the market. Although I think they may need root.
  7. Bob Cat

Bob Cat Careful, They're sharp!! Moderator

I use my Viewsonic Gtablet using wireless tethering from my Incredible but it does need root.
  8. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

1. you have too root...your phone. to get permission to share your data connect to other devices. you will need to find the rooting solution for you phone in the sub-form dedicated to your phone.

2. since you do not have the full android market... you can search online for the "wifi tether for root users" app. download and install. it is free.

3. keep in mind this is data usage of your cell service...so if you are not unlimited.. you will be charged
  9. chanchan05

I wonder, since I dont have a device where market is disabled, will appbrain work for those devices?
  10. Yeah, I'm a heavy mobile internet user but I have a data plan.

OK, so once I root it, will it all be there?
  11. chanchan05

Once you root, wifi tether apps will be able to work on your phone. Install one, then activate the app.
  12. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

you root the phone.. not the tablet.

install the tether app of choice... I use "wifi tether for root users"

that should be it.
  13. Bob Cat

You have to root the phone. In the list of phones on the front page, find your phone , inside that forum there will be a sub-forum call "all things root", that's where you want to go. Then ask those folks what you need to do to get started.
  14. Will the root wipe my phone?
  15. Bob Cat

Root will not wipe your sd card (pictures etc) but it will wipe whatever is on the phone.
  16. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

This is inaccurate, there are some root methods for certain phones that do not require a full wipe. Especially with temporary root solutions such as Visionary, z4root, and Gingerbreak.

Regards, IOWA.
  17. oppermanf

oppermanf New Member

How can i make my tablet into a cellphone when sim card is in. I am also new at this. I have lenovo tablet k1 with android 3.1 on it.