How to tether without the data cable?

1. gaurav200x

gaurav200x Member

Hi Friends

I have a Samsung Galaxy GT-S5670. In order to browse the internet through my laptop, I connect it to my phone via the data cable & tether it. However, in this process, my battery continues to charge even after reaching 100% & gets heated up.

I want to avoid this & thus, looking for a way to tether my phone to my laptop without the use of the data cable (sort of like connect it through bluetooth or something) and then, browse the internet.

So, please advice as to how can it be done?

Thank you.

Advertisement
    :
  2. valorian

valorian Well-Known Member

The only way to do this is if your phone has WiFi hotspot capabilities.
    gaurav200x likes this.
  3. SulkyAndroid17

SulkyAndroid17 Well-Known Member

Any wireless tether app would let you do this. Just type "WiFi tether" into the Play store or any app store. However, wireless tethering will cause your phone to heat up more than just tethering with the cable. Because not only is your phone using it's cellular radio, but now it must use the WiFi radio too. So if you've ever used your phone for an extended period of time then you know how hot it gets. Multiply that by 2 for wireless tethering. Plus, wireless tethering destroys battery life.
    gaurav200x likes this.
  4. boyo1991

boyo1991 Well-Known Member

Best one I've found if your phone is capable is foxfi. However. In my own personal experience.. I don't even use my laptop no more lol
    gaurav200x likes this.
  5. gaurav200x

gaurav200x Member

Well thanks a lot for that useful info.... So is there any way to browse internet on my laptop without actually heating/destroying my phone's battery life?
  6. SulkyAndroid17

SulkyAndroid17 Well-Known Member

Well, Either get a land-line connection or just continue what you've been doing with the data cable. Is it that big of a hassle? For your phone to get that hot, you must be doing some serious downloading. I usually lean my phone against a window or prop it up somehow to get more air flow while tethering. If your hellbent on wireless tethering I suppose you could put your phone in the freezer while you're online. Your phone stays frosty while you chill online. An ice pack might be a better choice.:D

As for WiFi tethering apps, Barnacle and FoxFi are good and I've used them. But they're only two of hundreds of apps that do this. Most seem like copies of each other. Wireless tethering is a built-in feature of android and most custom Roms have the ability to use it.
    gaurav200x likes this.
  7. gaurav200x

gaurav200x Member

Well thanks for that info. I am not doing much downloading , just casual browsing & downloading. Only thing is that its temp. rose to some 45C and became quite hot & I had to unplug my phone from the data cable. It seems that if one uses mobile phone with a laptop, battery consumption is more but if there is no way of reducing this heat, it will ultimately decrease the battery life a lot. Off course, as u say, a wifi tether doesn't seem to be a solution !
  8. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

When I USB tether, the cord is draped over a lamp arm above so the droid dangles in space with its top resting on the desk. That way, there’s enough free air to keep things cool.
    gaurav200x likes this.
  9. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

The temperature isn't getting hot from charging your battery, it is probably getting hot from the tether, 4G always makes my phone hot, especially when it's in constant use.

The best way to keep your device cool would be to not tether it. But in reality it shouldn't really be hurting your device a lot as when it hits full charge it will stop charging it so it doesn't deteriorate your battery.
    gaurav200x likes this.
  10. gaurav200x

gaurav200x Member

In other words, not to use my mobile for browsing internet on my laptop !
    ocnbrze likes this.
  11. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

have you thought about getting a hotspot device? i know its extra charge and you will be tied to it with a 2yr contract, but it is another idea. plus you usually get better signal strength and speeds with them vs using your phone.
  12. gaurav200x

gaurav200x Member

Thanks but they're still not very popular in India. Secondly, I'm not interested in spending that much or being hooked to a device for that long. :D
  13. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

do wifi-tether...

and put the phone in the fridge.

i just take off the back cover, and prop it up in an angle so air can get to all sides.
  14. Twippy

Twippy New Member

It's most likely that the heat is within-spec for the device, even if it feels uncomfortably hot to you.
    gaurav200x likes this.
  15. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Yes, and most phones will shut down if they detect the temperature getting too high. Usually, wired tether is superior for heat reasons anyway, since you only have the cellular radio running, rather than wireless and cellular at the same time.
    gaurav200x likes this.
  16. gaurav200x

gaurav200x Member

Nah ! that won't be practical for me !
  17. fala

fala Member

Hey! YES the best app that you should use it to tether is Foxifi it's helpful! also if you would like to transfer data, install apps, control you phone, devices info, download, upload or anything else without using a USB Cable , download AirDroid so you can control your phone via your wifi!