• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to transfer files over to the HTC ONE?

So i had to change my HTC1 bc the sound on it was just garbage. couldn't hear anyone talking and would just fade in and out. so i backed up my phone to drop box and got my new phone and restored the phone. well i would of been better of starting from new again. no contacts no pictures, all apps i think are there but have to be started as if new. just a mess. whats the point of having a back up and it not restoring anything. not sure what i missed if anything but not good.

Upvote 0
Are you just venting or do you want to find a solution?

post #18 in this thread suggests using Google as the preferred backup method. you can also use an SMS backup app to save those if you needed to.

the restore process on Android is painless.

A solution is a mute point now bc its to late. from all i had read dropbox was the way to go bc google didn't do all thats was needed to restore everything as was, well it also turns out dropbox isn't the answer as well. im a little confused as to why there is not 1 thing that will back up the whole phone and restore the whole phone as is and why this would not be built into the phone. that said i only used dropbox as i said and not google but also like i said i read a lot of stuff that said avoid google for back up. who knew??

Upvote 0
A solution is a mute point now bc its to late. from all i had read dropbox was the way to go bc google didn't do all thats was needed to restore everything as was, well it also turns out dropbox isn't the answer as well. im a little confused as to why there is not 1 thing that will back up the whole phone and restore the whole phone as is and why this would not be built into the phone. that said i only used dropbox as i said and not google but also like i said i read a lot of stuff that said avoid google for back up. who knew??

Never too late to adopt the backup solution right for you. :)

Agreed, it would be nice if it were built in for a 100% backup.

Best choice for non-rooted users imo requires a matching app on your pc.

Check out "Helium - App Sync and Backup"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
hello guys...i have a htc one for t mobile and im trying to get android file transfer to connect my mac to my htc one and i was looking around to see any solutions and i found out you have to change ur usb from mtp to ptp. how do u go about doing so? and if theres a different way to fix the android file transfer connection, that would be great! thanks in advance...o when connecting my phone atf sais "please connect your android device....."

Upvote 0
Hello loganwhite. Welcome to Android Forums. The easiest way for me to transfer files is via the USB charge / data cable. Go into your settings via the app tray and look for the setting Connect to PC. Open that and set your phone to be a mass storage device or whatever setting is no charge. Then connect your phone to your PC with the charge data cable. You should see a pop up of mass storage device detected or removable drive detected ... something similar. Now just open your local file browser on your PC and you should find a couple of new drives at the bottom of your tree. Peruse those drives looking for a folder called music. Now you can mass mark the files you want to move... right click and move them to your PC. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Now on my 4th One (faulty, wet, damaged screen). Love this phone but this time of Re loading all my stuff back on to it none of my music will play. Keep getting, couldn't play the track you requested. All I did was back up files to computer off old phone. Plugged New phone into restore it and now it won't play, any ideas? Thanks.

Upvote 0
the sky is the limit as to the issue.

lets try and get on the same page

are you rooted?
what carrier?
whats the latest OS update version on the device?
how did you backup the files?
are you having issues with other files transferred to the device?
can the music files be played on the computer you are transferring from?
what music program are you using? have you tried other music players?

Upvote 0
are you rooted? Nope
what carrier? O2
whats the latest OS update version on the device?4.3
how did you backup the files? Using HTC transfer tool
are you having issues with other files transferred to the device? All other files seem spot on so far
can the music files be played on the computer you are transferring from? Not tried this and not at home with laptop at the mo.
what music program are you using? good question, just the gold headphone as I always have .have you tried other music players? I've tried right clicking to open but no joy, also tried to go on Amazon MP3 where I have purchased some tunes and that won't work either.

Upvote 0
ok lets make sure you can play the files LOCALLY on your source computer first. no need to right click on the music files, just open up a computer mp3 player and choose a file to play.

on your device, use another music player. poweramp is highly recommended.

the htc transfer tool uses dropbox and its has been unreliable for some people who have posted on this site.

in my opinion, and for locally stored files such as music, videos, and text documents, i just transfer them locally to a computer or HDD or a thumb drive directly attached to the htc one and offload files that way and use google servers as the recommended backup for other data.

Upvote 0
1. tried a different usb cable
2. tried a different usb port
3. used another computer to TEST (just TEST) to see if you can transfer a file

dont "sync" with anything. just plug the phone up with the usb cable, locate its icon on your computer. you can slide down the notification drawer and select the option to treat the phone as a flash memory device. my memory escapes me as to the proper wording, but its obvious.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones