How to trick N1 into thinking its on WiFi?Support

Last Updated:

1. ap3604

ap3604 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

On my old iPhone 3gs, once jailbroken you could install an app called VOIPover3g and trick your phone into thinking it was on wifi even if you were only on 3g so you could overcome the restrictions on certain apps like skype (only lets you make calls over wifi) and youtube (better video quality on wifi)

Well, Vonage just came out with a great app for free domestic calls with GREAT call quality, but it only works over WiFi.

How can we trick the N1 into thinking its on WiFi even if its on 3g?

Advertisement
  2. mudrock1000

mudrock1000 Well-Known Member

This interests me.

3. 150_cav

150_cav Well-Known Member

4. shizane101

shizane101 Active Member

5. locus

locus Well-Known Member

One work around would be putting the phone in airplane mode, then go into the power widget turn on WiFi , now the phone only works with WiFi, might work for you.

6. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

That's not what they want to do. They want to trick the program into seeing a connection as WiFi, when it is really 3g.

7. shizane101

shizane101 Active Member

Exactly! Besides wanting to see all YouTube vids in HQ w/o having to select it everytime, I want to watch some TV shows on the TV.com app that say they are only available when on WiFi.

8. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

Wifi is quite a bit faster than 3g. Aside from not knowing how to do it, I'm not sure WHY you'd want to. If it was to gain access to a voip service I'd get it... but for movies... you're going to be waiting for these to buffer for freaking EVER, imho. I'd just live with it... although the tv.com thing is a more graspable if you can't access it at all via 3g, I'd contact the dev. Of the app.

9. DellyBelly

DellyBelly Well-Known Member

Dunno; 3G is more than fine to stream a movie on a cell phone (I stream from tversity to my phone when traveling with 3g just fine). It's not like you need to download a 3 gig file for your phone; my HD rips come in under half a gig. TV especially is probably not more than a few hundred megs for a 30 minute show.

Ive been looking for something like this; but haven't really ran into many apps I use for Android that have required it like i had with my iphone.

10. snaredrumfure

snaredrumfure New Member

I'm also very interested in this... It MUST not be very popular, since no one really knows about it [for android]. Perhaps a [smart] developer shall create an app like this and make millions??

11. the_metal

the_metal Member

i hope there is an app like that for android too