how to turn 3G off?Support

Last Updated:

1. tim007

tim007 Member This Topic's Starter

hey,

today i've bought the galaxy s.
    Is there a possibility that the phone only uses wifi, and when there is no wifi, that he didn't connect with 3G(it costs a lot)

Is it possible to use the navigator whitout a data connection?
    And for the agenda, i've a google account, but it say that he can't make a data connection, but i'm connected with wifi(i can surf on the internet)...use those applications only a 3G connection?

Advertisement
  2. boxer29

boxer29 Member

no you have to use the 3g to download the maps ,,cause it has got google maps ,,
    you can use to download the maps at home with wifi and then try going out ,,but i think it needs the 3g network to calculate where the phone is in order to assist with the route ,,
    you can turn the 3g off from the settings ,wireless and mobile and then mobile network and untick the data connection ,
    if you want to turn the 3g off ,just tick the use only 2g network box ,down bellow on the same page
    hope this helps

3. tim007

and is there other navigation software that don't use a data connection?

4. Geryatrix

Geryatrix Well-Known Member

Several of the nav programd on the market actually download the maps to your SD card and use from there, so there is no need for a data connection. The only problem is that these are paid apps and the google one is free.

It depends if you wish to spend

5. jollygoon

jollygoon Well-Known Member

Actually you can use google maps without a 3G data connection as long as you don't deviate from your initial route, i.e. let's say you want to get from point A to F. Turn on your GPS and on your wifi connection go onto google maps and ask for directions, it will then download the bits of map it needs and subsequently give you a route, e.g. A-B-C-D-E-F. When you head out your GPS will track you wherever you go and if you stick to A-B-C-D-E-F google maps wouldn't need to download additional pieces of maps and/or directions.

However if you go from A-B-S-G then google maps will notice that you've gone off course and then (helpfully) download new maps and directions for you and if you don't have a data connection your maps and directions will disappear.

Now that was for google maps, I'm unsure about google maps navigation though.

Hope that helps. :D

With regards to the thread title 'how to turn 3G off?' go to settings>wireless and network>mobile networks>use only 2G networks

As for your agenda question, sorry I've got nothing.:confused:

6. tim007

7. BadComrade

BadComrade Member

Screw all that... just download the SMODA widget. Once it's downloaded, choose the screen you want to install it to (I put it on 5), press a blank area of the screen, select "Android Widgets", scroll down to the SMODA entry, and install it. Once installed, all you have to do is tap the widget, wait 2 seconds, and you'll be disconnected from 3G (the 3G icon in the taskbar will disappear). Click it again, and you've got 3G again.

8. goyal.sanchit

goyal.sanchit Well-Known Member

Download an app "Quick settings". It will let you toggle various settings.

9. narayan4688

narayan4688 Active Member

I use the app DCSwitch application. It has a good looking widget. The description says it doesn't change the APN settings but uses some service.
    Link to screenshot:
    DCSwitch - Android app on AppBrain