1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

How to turn a Lg Esteem into a wireless modem?

1. Theonlineprinc

Theonlineprinc Well-Known Member

Hi.
    How would I turn a Lg Esteem Phone into a wireless Modem without Bluetooth, or Rooting?

Advertisement
    :
  2. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

you need to root in order to do that. im not sure if theres any way around that. i use wireless tether for root users from the market.
  3. n4zty

n4zty Well-Known Member

i was in the indulge subforum the other day and tiede there mentioned this app that allows you to tether without root maybe you can test it out and tell us since im already rooted so i cant verify if it works for non-rooted phones.
    keep in mind metro is filtering most pc browsers so if ur gonna test tethering i suggest u tether an ipod or a tablet or even a ps3, unless you want to change the user agent for ur browsers.

Code:
    [URL]https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi[/URL]
    Theonlineprinc likes this.
  4. Theonlineprinc

When someone finds out please let me know, I spent $400 on my phone; and I don't want to damage it.
  5. imamabella

imamabella Well-Known Member

Well I downloaded but it said the phone wasn't supported with this app so I have to turn on the Bluetooth but when turn on it told me to turn wifi n turn off Bluetooth but it just said the same not supported.
  6. Theonlineprinc

Are you saying that the app dosen't work?
  7. AJC3_Designs

AJC3_Designs Member

I use Wireless Tether also but it does require root. While the Esteem isn't the most root friendly phone, unlike the Huawei Ascend, if you can root it, get Wireless Tether...it's simply the best.
  8. Corootai

Corootai Well-Known Member

for me i ended up spending the cash for "Easy Tether Pro" putting the phone into the internet connection mode when it's connected to my pc, and then basicly downloading the drivers for my pc gives me net automaticly and it's surprisingly fast.
  9. danyvw

danyvw Well-Known Member

Why is this thread in ATR? The OP said he wanted tethering without Bluetooth, or Rooting.
  10. youngnex

youngnex Well-Known Member

Theres no way to do it wireless without rooting. theres plenty of solutions out there if you want to use a USB cable. Such as the Clockwork one.
  11. Akurse

Akurse Active Member

This one doesn't work for the esteem, since it works with phones that have tethering built into them. i use wireless tether but you have to be rooted to use it. works good for me
  12. Hendoe

Hendoe Well-Known Member

i am rooted and cant get the tether to work correctly

13. Akurse

Akurse Active Member

Is this the one you have?
    http://android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com/files/wifi_tether_v3_1-beta11.apk
    When you open this one, go to change device profile. Then select LG Optmius S, as the device. That should get it working right.
    as for you web browser if don't want to get the WebPages blocked by metro you need to this, using Mozilla Firefox you can get an Add-on call user agent changer. Once you have it you click on new, then on new agent. For the description put whatever you like for ex: Android. Clear all the fields. And right under description field, there
  14. amakaris

amakaris New Member

I don't want this thread to die because it is still relevant.

Metro LG Esteem
    non-rooted
    wifi tether
    can it work??

FoxFi....no (no root required) doesn't work...once installed, says this model unsupported
    OpenGarden (their non-root version)...no
    Wifi Hotspot & USB Tether Pro...no (no root required)...doesn't make the access point despite pressing button
    Clockworkmod Tether (no root)...no
    one or two other apps specifically state Esteem doesn't work with their non-root app...

What else to check?
  15. nypdauxx

nypdauxx Active Member

Use WiFi tether from the market its the one with yellow WiFi logo. Change device profile to lg optimus s, change setup method to softap and last but not least change channel to auto, and bam you should seen the connection.